Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation on dell E1505

  • Chris Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
      techguru2006 wrote:

      >Hi Team,
      >
      >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
      >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
      >informaion..
      >
      >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
      >step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
      >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
      >OS is installed ?
      >
      >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.
      >
      >Any help will be highly appreciated.

      Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able to install Debian on
      desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing Enter a bunch of
      times. The only real challenge is the partitioning and most distros
      will set up a default partiotion set now.

      Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.
    • David Rumptz
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
        MJ:

        Speaking of Dell e1505 I bought one in June (more than
        now) and am doing hte same thing I have one word for
        you Kanotix. But if you want ease of use then it has
        to be Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I like Ubuntu the best of the
        Ubuntu distros.

        As far as installing goes

        Debian is prety simple you just chose the defaults but
        WARNING some unstable does nto install well. I hav
        enoit tried Testing form the Debian site but I asume
        it does not load X.org properly

        Ububtu and any version of it is darn simple just clik
        a few buttons and it does all the rest no questions
        asked

        Kanotix was a little harder ....

        Now the rest of this might be too much info----------

        I have downloaded a bunch of Linux Distros and
        Kanotix works the best so far. It is based on Debian
        Sid so it has a lot of the stuff I like

        BUT It all depends what you are used to in the case of
        Linux. I have been running Linux for a few years and
        got stuck on Debian by way of Knoppix 3.0

        So now I am a huge Debian fan and do not like systems
        that water down Debian in any way. I actually was
        proud when I moved to a stright Debian Sarge system
        but the problem is it is too slow for my modern
        processor and Debian Etch (unstable) or Sid (testing)
        from Debian's main site has a problem loading X.org so
        I had to go with Kanotix (a Knoppix flavor)...But it
        was working great when I did an Apt0get upgrade now I
        just played with tit this morning and got it back to
        the old funky Kanotix flavor

        BSD I could not get Free BSD to load X.org properly. I
        just failed and game me a command line. I do not know
        the BSD Repos so I did not try to change the sources.
        List file I just went on to a different Linux Distro.

        On my laptop I have tried

        Debian Sarge

        Debian Etch (X.org problem)

        Debian Sid (by way of Kanotix- current system)- It is
        nice but it faults when you close the lid on the
        laptop - Sound does not work

        Ubuntu (KUbuntu) I do not really like the GPG Key
        thing it is kind of annoying but it does work after
        you close the lid on the laptop

        MEPIS - (Ubuntu based) It is nice but it faults when
        you close the lid on the laptop

        FreeSpire- I only tried it for a day not at home I
        want to see if the wireless works on it it was nice
        but I did not test it much but It is nice but it
        faults when you close the lid on the laptop

        I am up at 3:30 am and am pissed I cannot sleep Today
        will suck!

        Well it is 4 am

        Did you hear that "procurement" wants to sell all the
        working computers and then leave me with nothing but
        broken computers!!!!

        What about the secure process?

        I got to look up the old e-mail and see the policy.

        I though Jerry or Maryanne worked that out.

        Besides that MEPIS was OK but it is Ubuntu based so I
        have to deal with GPG keys and that is annoying I know
        how to deal with GPG now but it takes time and I do
        not like some of the default settings.

        I am moving over to
        Kanotix Kano dev team based on Knoppix It is a
        Knoppix distro based on Debian / Sid which is the
        unstable branch of Debian. I t give me most of what I
        want and am used to under Debian except Gnome which I
        can install through Apt-Get so I just got to clean up
        the HD MEPIS does 4 partitions not well. Then I should
        be good to go.

        I was bummed Free BSD had the X.org dependencie
        problems I wanted to try out BSD as it is Unix so it
        would have been interesting to see the differenece
        between and Unix

        To tell you the truth it all seams no big deal because
        I think Xorg runs Gnome or KDE as its X11 Windows
        Manager so on the face things are going to be the same
        no matter the distro you use it is really a difference
        for the Power User Sys Admin which Distro you use
        because for the "User" they only see the Windows
        Manager

        My thoughts at , now, 4 am

        Rumptz
        Some thoughts David

        --- techguru2006 <techguru2006@...> wrote:

        > Hi Team,
        >
        > I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
        > After doing lot of
        > google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in
        > too much of
        > informaion..
        >
        > I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
        > pointing to step-by-
        > step process for installation. I have downloaded the
        > ISO image for
        > I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
        > be done after LINUX
        > OS is installed ?
        >
        > Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
        > back-up.
        >
        > Any help will be highly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > MJ

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • David Rumptz
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
          Again the problem is that ?Debian Sarge is way too
          slow for a newer coputer adn etch faults on the X.org
          install.

          Rumptz

          --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@...> wrote:

          > techguru2006 wrote:
          >
          > >Hi Team,
          > >
          > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
          > After doing lot of
          > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
          > in too much of
          > >informaion..
          > >
          > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
          > pointing to step-by-
          > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
          > the ISO image for
          > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
          > be done after LINUX
          > >OS is installed ?
          > >
          > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
          > back-up.
          > >
          > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
          > >
          > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
          > to install Debian on
          > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
          > Enter a bunch of
          > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
          > and most distros
          > will set up a default partiotion set now.
          >
          > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tech Guru
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
            Hello,

            I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am I missing anything here??

            Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying ISO files as data..

            Can someone help on this ?

            Thanks much!!

            Mani

            --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@comcast. net> wrote:

            > techguru2006 wrote:
            >
            > >Hi Team,
            > >
            > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
            > After doing lot of
            > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
            > in too much of
            > >informaion. .
            > >
            > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
            > pointing to step-by-
            > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
            > the ISO image for
            > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
            > be done after LINUX
            > >OS is installed ?
            > >
            > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
            > back-up.
            > >
            > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
            > >
            > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
            > to install Debian on
            > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
            > Enter a bunch of
            > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
            > and most distros
            > will set up a default partiotion set now.
            >
            > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

          • uteck
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
              Here are instructions for getting web and media plugins working for ubuntu.
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

              The "Before You Start" has links to walk you through various steps to
              enable the non-free plugins, then you can follow the rest of the steps
              to installing them.

              --
              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                Hello,

                Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would stick with Ubuntu if I were
                you and look into a program called "Automatix".

                It will help install the bits of software that projects like Ubuntu
                cannot legally install by default.

              • Chad Sutton
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                  You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                  Nero and select "Burn Image...".

                  Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

                  http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

                  I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                  Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                  means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

                  Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                  the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                  with most distros.

                  --
                  Later,
                  Chad Sutton

                  On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
                  > I missing anything here??
                  >
                  > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
                  > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
                  > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
                  > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
                  > ISO files as data..
                  >
                  > Can someone help on this ?
                  >
                  > Thanks much!!
                  >
                  > Mani

                • Chris Fox
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                    The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
                    a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
                    "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
                    response you expect from a light swtitch.

                    As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
                    title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
                    learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
                    n00b, and that was years ago.

                    * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
                    * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
                    Lineos, etc) is very good
                    * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
                    coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

                    Chad Sutton wrote:

                    >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                    >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
                    >
                    >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
                    >
                    >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
                    >
                    >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                    >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                    >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
                    >
                    >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                    >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                    >with most distros.

                  • David Rumptz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                      Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
                      Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

                      Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
                      branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
                      kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
                      to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
                      kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
                      the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
                      http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
                      I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
                      but it really does not matter.

                      Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
                      becasue it uses both of my processors.

                      BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
                      laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
                      are interested follow the directions on
                      http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

                      David Rumptz
                      rumptz_sh8kr