Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation on dell E1505

  • Chris Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
      techguru2006 wrote:

      >Hi Team,
      >
      >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
      >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
      >informaion..
      >
      >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
      >step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
      >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
      >OS is installed ?
      >
      >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.
      >
      >Any help will be highly appreciated.

      Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able to install Debian on
      desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing Enter a bunch of
      times. The only real challenge is the partitioning and most distros
      will set up a default partiotion set now.

      Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.
    • dsoliver@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
        MJ said,
        Hi Team,

        I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
        google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
        informaion..

        I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
        step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
        I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
        OS is installed ?

        Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.

        Any help will be highly appreciated.

        Thanks
        MJ
        ----------------------------
        I don't use Debian, but the first thing I would do is burn a CD or DVD
        from the ISO image. If it's an install image, you would then boot from
        that. That's the way I've done it with Slackware and Ubuntu. Do you
        already have an operating system on the computer so that you would
        want to set up a dual boot system? That goes into another question about
        repartitioning. If it's truly a blank slate, a bootable CD or DVD
        should be all you would need. That CD or DVD could be made on any
        computer. Best of luck-- Douglas
      • David Rumptz
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
          MJ:

          Speaking of Dell e1505 I bought one in June (more than
          now) and am doing hte same thing I have one word for
          you Kanotix. But if you want ease of use then it has
          to be Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I like Ubuntu the best of the
          Ubuntu distros.

          As far as installing goes

          Debian is prety simple you just chose the defaults but
          WARNING some unstable does nto install well. I hav
          enoit tried Testing form the Debian site but I asume
          it does not load X.org properly

          Ububtu and any version of it is darn simple just clik
          a few buttons and it does all the rest no questions
          asked

          Kanotix was a little harder ....

          Now the rest of this might be too much info----------

          I have downloaded a bunch of Linux Distros and
          Kanotix works the best so far. It is based on Debian
          Sid so it has a lot of the stuff I like

          BUT It all depends what you are used to in the case of
          Linux. I have been running Linux for a few years and
          got stuck on Debian by way of Knoppix 3.0

          So now I am a huge Debian fan and do not like systems
          that water down Debian in any way. I actually was
          proud when I moved to a stright Debian Sarge system
          but the problem is it is too slow for my modern
          processor and Debian Etch (unstable) or Sid (testing)
          from Debian's main site has a problem loading X.org so
          I had to go with Kanotix (a Knoppix flavor)...But it
          was working great when I did an Apt0get upgrade now I
          just played with tit this morning and got it back to
          the old funky Kanotix flavor

          BSD I could not get Free BSD to load X.org properly. I
          just failed and game me a command line. I do not know
          the BSD Repos so I did not try to change the sources.
          List file I just went on to a different Linux Distro.

          On my laptop I have tried

          Debian Sarge

          Debian Etch (X.org problem)

          Debian Sid (by way of Kanotix- current system)- It is
          nice but it faults when you close the lid on the
          laptop - Sound does not work

          Ubuntu (KUbuntu) I do not really like the GPG Key
          thing it is kind of annoying but it does work after
          you close the lid on the laptop

          MEPIS - (Ubuntu based) It is nice but it faults when
          you close the lid on the laptop

          FreeSpire- I only tried it for a day not at home I
          want to see if the wireless works on it it was nice
          but I did not test it much but It is nice but it
          faults when you close the lid on the laptop

          I am up at 3:30 am and am pissed I cannot sleep Today
          will suck!

          Well it is 4 am

          Did you hear that "procurement" wants to sell all the
          working computers and then leave me with nothing but
          broken computers!!!!

          What about the secure process?

          I got to look up the old e-mail and see the policy.

          I though Jerry or Maryanne worked that out.

          Besides that MEPIS was OK but it is Ubuntu based so I
          have to deal with GPG keys and that is annoying I know
          how to deal with GPG now but it takes time and I do
          not like some of the default settings.

          I am moving over to
          Kanotix Kano dev team based on Knoppix It is a
          Knoppix distro based on Debian / Sid which is the
          unstable branch of Debian. I t give me most of what I
          want and am used to under Debian except Gnome which I
          can install through Apt-Get so I just got to clean up
          the HD MEPIS does 4 partitions not well. Then I should
          be good to go.

          I was bummed Free BSD had the X.org dependencie
          problems I wanted to try out BSD as it is Unix so it
          would have been interesting to see the differenece
          between and Unix

          To tell you the truth it all seams no big deal because
          I think Xorg runs Gnome or KDE as its X11 Windows
          Manager so on the face things are going to be the same
          no matter the distro you use it is really a difference
          for the Power User Sys Admin which Distro you use
          because for the "User" they only see the Windows
          Manager

          My thoughts at , now, 4 am

          Rumptz
          Some thoughts David

          --- techguru2006 <techguru2006@...> wrote:

          > Hi Team,
          >
          > I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
          > After doing lot of
          > google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in
          > too much of
          > informaion..
          >
          > I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
          > pointing to step-by-
          > step process for installation. I have downloaded the
          > ISO image for
          > I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
          > be done after LINUX
          > OS is installed ?
          >
          > Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
          > back-up.
          >
          > Any help will be highly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > MJ

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • David Rumptz
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
            Again the problem is that ?Debian Sarge is way too
            slow for a newer coputer adn etch faults on the X.org
            install.

            Rumptz

            --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@...> wrote:

            > techguru2006 wrote:
            >
            > >Hi Team,
            > >
            > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
            > After doing lot of
            > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
            > in too much of
            > >informaion..
            > >
            > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
            > pointing to step-by-
            > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
            > the ISO image for
            > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
            > be done after LINUX
            > >OS is installed ?
            > >
            > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
            > back-up.
            > >
            > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
            > >
            > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
            > to install Debian on
            > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
            > Enter a bunch of
            > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
            > and most distros
            > will set up a default partiotion set now.
            >
            > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Tech Guru
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
              Hello,

              I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am I missing anything here??

              Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying ISO files as data..

              Can someone help on this ?

              Thanks much!!

              Mani

              --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@comcast. net> wrote:

              > techguru2006 wrote:
              >
              > >Hi Team,
              > >
              > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
              > After doing lot of
              > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
              > in too much of
              > >informaion. .
              > >
              > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
              > pointing to step-by-
              > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
              > the ISO image for
              > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
              > be done after LINUX
              > >OS is installed ?
              > >
              > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
              > back-up.
              > >
              > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
              > >
              > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
              > to install Debian on
              > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
              > Enter a bunch of
              > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
              > and most distros
              > will set up a default partiotion set now.
              >
              > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

            • uteck
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                Here are instructions for getting web and media plugins working for ubuntu.
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

                The "Before You Start" has links to walk you through various steps to
                enable the non-free plugins, then you can follow the rest of the steps
                to installing them.

                --
                no .sig found
                Please restart your browser.
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                  Hello,

                  Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would stick with Ubuntu if I were
                  you and look into a program called "Automatix".

                  It will help install the bits of software that projects like Ubuntu
                  cannot legally install by default.

                • Chad Sutton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                    You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                    Nero and select "Burn Image...".

                    Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

                    http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

                    I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                    Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                    means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

                    Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                    the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                    with most distros.

                    --
                    Later,
                    Chad Sutton

                    On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
                    > I missing anything here??
                    >
                    > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
                    > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
                    > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
                    > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
                    > ISO files as data..
                    >
                    > Can someone help on this ?
                    >
                    > Thanks much!!
                    >
                    > Mani

                  • Chris Fox
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                      The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
                      a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
                      "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
                      response you expect from a light swtitch.

                      As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
                      title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
                      learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
                      n00b, and that was years ago.

                      * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
                      * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
                      Lineos, etc) is very good
                      * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
                      coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

                      Chad Sutton wrote:

                      >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                      >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
                      >
                      >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
                      >
                      >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
                      >
                      >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                      >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                      >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
                      >
                      >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                      >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                      >with most distros.

                    • David Rumptz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                        Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
                        Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

                        Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
                        branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
                        kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
                        to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
                        kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
                        the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
                        http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
                        I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
                        but it really does not matter.

                        Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
                        becasue it uses both of my processors.

                        BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
                        laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
                        are interested follow the directions on
                        http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

                        David Rumptz
                        rumptz_sh8kr