Need help: Debian Installation on dell E1505

  • techguru2006
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
      Hi Team,

      I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
      google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
      informaion..

      I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
      step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
      I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
      OS is installed ?

      Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.

      Any help will be highly appreciated.

      Thanks
      MJ
    • Chris Fox
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
        techguru2006 wrote:

        >Hi Team,
        >
        >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
        >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
        >informaion..
        >
        >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
        >step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
        >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
        >OS is installed ?
        >
        >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.
        >
        >Any help will be highly appreciated.

        Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able to install Debian on
        desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing Enter a bunch of
        times. The only real challenge is the partitioning and most distros
        will set up a default partiotion set now.

        Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.
      • dsoliver@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14, 2006
          MJ said,
          Hi Team,

          I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop. After doing lot of
          google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in too much of
          informaion..

          I was wondering if someone on group can help me by pointing to step-by-
          step process for installation. I have downloaded the ISO image for
          I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should be done after LINUX
          OS is installed ?

          Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to back-up.

          Any help will be highly appreciated.

          Thanks
          MJ
          ----------------------------
          I don't use Debian, but the first thing I would do is burn a CD or DVD
          from the ISO image. If it's an install image, you would then boot from
          that. That's the way I've done it with Slackware and Ubuntu. Do you
          already have an operating system on the computer so that you would
          want to set up a dual boot system? That goes into another question about
          repartitioning. If it's truly a blank slate, a bootable CD or DVD
          should be all you would need. That CD or DVD could be made on any
          computer. Best of luck-- Douglas
        • David Rumptz
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
            MJ:

            Speaking of Dell e1505 I bought one in June (more than
            now) and am doing hte same thing I have one word for
            you Kanotix. But if you want ease of use then it has
            to be Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I like Ubuntu the best of the
            Ubuntu distros.

            As far as installing goes

            Debian is prety simple you just chose the defaults but
            WARNING some unstable does nto install well. I hav
            enoit tried Testing form the Debian site but I asume
            it does not load X.org properly

            Ububtu and any version of it is darn simple just clik
            a few buttons and it does all the rest no questions
            asked

            Kanotix was a little harder ....

            Now the rest of this might be too much info----------

            I have downloaded a bunch of Linux Distros and
            Kanotix works the best so far. It is based on Debian
            Sid so it has a lot of the stuff I like

            BUT It all depends what you are used to in the case of
            Linux. I have been running Linux for a few years and
            got stuck on Debian by way of Knoppix 3.0

            So now I am a huge Debian fan and do not like systems
            that water down Debian in any way. I actually was
            proud when I moved to a stright Debian Sarge system
            but the problem is it is too slow for my modern
            processor and Debian Etch (unstable) or Sid (testing)
            from Debian's main site has a problem loading X.org so
            I had to go with Kanotix (a Knoppix flavor)...But it
            was working great when I did an Apt0get upgrade now I
            just played with tit this morning and got it back to
            the old funky Kanotix flavor

            BSD I could not get Free BSD to load X.org properly. I
            just failed and game me a command line. I do not know
            the BSD Repos so I did not try to change the sources.
            List file I just went on to a different Linux Distro.

            On my laptop I have tried

            Debian Sarge

            Debian Etch (X.org problem)

            Debian Sid (by way of Kanotix- current system)- It is
            nice but it faults when you close the lid on the
            laptop - Sound does not work

            Ubuntu (KUbuntu) I do not really like the GPG Key
            thing it is kind of annoying but it does work after
            you close the lid on the laptop

            MEPIS - (Ubuntu based) It is nice but it faults when
            you close the lid on the laptop

            FreeSpire- I only tried it for a day not at home I
            want to see if the wireless works on it it was nice
            but I did not test it much but It is nice but it
            faults when you close the lid on the laptop

            I am up at 3:30 am and am pissed I cannot sleep Today
            will suck!

            Well it is 4 am

            Did you hear that "procurement" wants to sell all the
            working computers and then leave me with nothing but
            broken computers!!!!

            What about the secure process?

            I got to look up the old e-mail and see the policy.

            I though Jerry or Maryanne worked that out.

            Besides that MEPIS was OK but it is Ubuntu based so I
            have to deal with GPG keys and that is annoying I know
            how to deal with GPG now but it takes time and I do
            not like some of the default settings.

            I am moving over to
            Kanotix Kano dev team based on Knoppix It is a
            Knoppix distro based on Debian / Sid which is the
            unstable branch of Debian. I t give me most of what I
            want and am used to under Debian except Gnome which I
            can install through Apt-Get so I just got to clean up
            the HD MEPIS does 4 partitions not well. Then I should
            be good to go.

            I was bummed Free BSD had the X.org dependencie
            problems I wanted to try out BSD as it is Unix so it
            would have been interesting to see the differenece
            between and Unix

            To tell you the truth it all seams no big deal because
            I think Xorg runs Gnome or KDE as its X11 Windows
            Manager so on the face things are going to be the same
            no matter the distro you use it is really a difference
            for the Power User Sys Admin which Distro you use
            because for the "User" they only see the Windows
            Manager

            My thoughts at , now, 4 am

            Rumptz
            Some thoughts David

            --- techguru2006 <techguru2006@...> wrote:

            > Hi Team,
            >
            > I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
            > After doing lot of
            > google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in
            > too much of
            > informaion..
            >
            > I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
            > pointing to step-by-
            > step process for installation. I have downloaded the
            > ISO image for
            > I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
            > be done after LINUX
            > OS is installed ?
            >
            > Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
            > back-up.
            >
            > Any help will be highly appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks
            > MJ

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • David Rumptz
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
              Again the problem is that ?Debian Sarge is way too
              slow for a newer coputer adn etch faults on the X.org
              install.

              Rumptz

              --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@...> wrote:

              > techguru2006 wrote:
              >
              > >Hi Team,
              > >
              > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
              > After doing lot of
              > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
              > in too much of
              > >informaion..
              > >
              > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
              > pointing to step-by-
              > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
              > the ISO image for
              > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
              > be done after LINUX
              > >OS is installed ?
              > >
              > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
              > back-up.
              > >
              > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
              > >
              > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
              > to install Debian on
              > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
              > Enter a bunch of
              > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
              > and most distros
              > will set up a default partiotion set now.
              >
              > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Tech Guru
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                Hello,

                I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am I missing anything here??

                Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying ISO files as data..

                Can someone help on this ?

                Thanks much!!

                Mani

                --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@comcast. net> wrote:

                > techguru2006 wrote:
                >
                > >Hi Team,
                > >
                > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
                > After doing lot of
                > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
                > in too much of
                > >informaion. .
                > >
                > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
                > pointing to step-by-
                > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
                > the ISO image for
                > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
                > be done after LINUX
                > >OS is installed ?
                > >
                > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
                > back-up.
                > >
                > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
                > >
                > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
                > to install Debian on
                > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
                > Enter a bunch of
                > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
                > and most distros
                > will set up a default partiotion set now.
                >
                > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

              • uteck
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                  Here are instructions for getting web and media plugins working for ubuntu.
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

                  The "Before You Start" has links to walk you through various steps to
                  enable the non-free plugins, then you can follow the rest of the steps
                  to installing them.

                  --
                  no .sig found
                  Please restart your browser.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
                    Hello,

                    Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would stick with Ubuntu if I were
                    you and look into a program called "Automatix".

                    It will help install the bits of software that projects like Ubuntu
                    cannot legally install by default.

                  • Chad Sutton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                      You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                      Nero and select "Burn Image...".

                      Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

                      http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

                      I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                      Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                      means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

                      Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                      the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                      with most distros.

                      --
                      Later,
                      Chad Sutton

                      On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
                      > I missing anything here??
                      >
                      > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
                      > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
                      > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
                      > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
                      > ISO files as data..
                      >
                      > Can someone help on this ?
                      >
                      > Thanks much!!
                      >
                      > Mani

                    • Chris Fox
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                        The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
                        a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
                        "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
                        response you expect from a light swtitch.

                        As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
                        title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
                        learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
                        n00b, and that was years ago.

                        * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
                        * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
                        Lineos, etc) is very good
                        * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
                        coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

                        Chad Sutton wrote:

                        >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                        >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
                        >
                        >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
                        >
                        >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
                        >
                        >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                        >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                        >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
                        >
                        >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                        >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                        >with most distros.

                      • David Rumptz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                          Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
                          Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

                          Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
                          branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
                          kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
                          to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
                          kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
                          the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
                          http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
                          I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
                          but it really does not matter.

                          Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
                          becasue it uses both of my processors.

                          BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
                          laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
                          are interested follow the directions on
                          http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

                          David Rumptz
                          rumptz_sh8kr