Dell Inspiron 1100 - knoppix 5.0.1 - display size -Solved

  • candtalan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      This problem troubled me, and I post here hoping the information will
      be useful to other Dell Inspiron 1100 users.

      With knoppix 5.0.1 the display is not full size. However with knoppix
      4.0.2 it fills the screen ok. I believe the Inspiron has something
      unusual with the way its video ram gets reported to the bios or
      something, but it is (was) a major product line. I am not sure it is
      entirely sorted out by the bios going up to A92.

      Solution for knoppix 5.0.1:
      I used this boot entry:
      boot: knoppix xmodule=i810
      and it WORKS! :-)

      Details:
      Dell Inspiron 1100 (Bios revision A92)
      Knoppix 5.0.1
      (Note this procedure was not needed for knoppix 4.0.2, which used
      xfree86 not xorg)

      (Knoppix forum) original posting:
      Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:58 pm
      Dell Inspiron 1100 - 5.0.1 - display size
      http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24847

      and a reply from penguine5 Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:03 am
      with the same problem,

      followed by a reply from Harry Kuhman (moderator)
      mentioning the wiki

      The knoppix wiki:
      http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?HomePage
      and for this problem, specifically the section:
      Knoppix/BootProcess
      http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Knoppix/BootProcess#tip4http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Knoppix/BootProcess#tip4
      [Testing various xmodule= cheatcodes quickly]

      Particular useful extract:
      When Knoppix finish booting, change to VC 1
      with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and enter runlevel 3 with 'init 3'.
      To see what driver Knoppix used, type:
      grep -i driver /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

      When I gave this a try, the response I saw with my Dell Inspiron 1100
      (bios revision A29) was:
      i810
      (which seems to be the driver I needed knoppix to run).
      So I took the hint from a wiki entry:
      'Once you find one that works better than what Knoppix guessed, you
      can use it at the boot prompt like so:
      boot: knoppix xmodule=fbdev'

      In my case the driver was i810, not fbdev

      hth :-)
      -- ac