wireless for Linux distros

  • twasserman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 2:06 PM
      There are several ways that you can go from here.
      As you know, most of the drivers are closed source.
      While Intel has released an open source driver for
      their wireless card, it's nontrivial to download,
      compile, and install. On top of that, you have to
      download wpa_supplicant if you want to have good
      wifi security.

      One alternative is to try the Linuxant driverloader
      solution, available at http://www.linuxant.com.
      Basically, it wraps your Windows WiFi driver so that
      you can use it with Linux. You get a free download
      and a 30 day trial to make sure that it works on your
      machine. After that, it's $20 for a perpetual license.

      I would note that you normally have to update the
      installation every time that you install a new kernel.
      Beyond the $20 though, you have the ethical decision
      as to whether you are willing to have a commercial
      driver running on your open source platform. (You have
      the same issue for some of the graphics drivers and
      some DVD players.)

      If this is not an issue for you, there are some
      distros that bundle proprietary drivers with the
      distro. Linspire (http://www.linspire.com) and
      the related open source Freespire (http://www.freespire.org)
      are Debian-based and provide updates through the
      CNR (click and run) feature. Novell has recently
      released SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, available from
      http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/
      You can download a trial for SUSE, but you eventually
      have to pay for the YaST update service.

      Tony Wasserman
    • Chad Sutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 10:34 PM
        This is Linux. Why pay for something when you can use ndiswrapper for free? I
        have used it for years with relatively little trouble.

        I would always download the latest ndiswrapper and compile it yourself. Also
        check their list of drivers against the type of card you have.

        http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

        If you really want to be brave you can use the 2.6.17 version of the kernel.
        It has support for a lot more kinds of wireless cards than previous versions.
        Specifically it adds support for the Broadcom wireless chip set.

        --
        Later,
        Chad Sutton