fan fast on boot

  • ianwroberts
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      I've been pretty happy with my experience installing (K)ubuntu
      Dapper 6.06 on my new Dell Inspiron 6400. I've retained the option
      of booting into the DEll-installed Windows-XP but usually use
      Kubuntu now that I've just about got everything working (incl ATI
      graphics drivers and WPA on my wifi).

      The only remaining problem I have is that *sometimes* on bootup
      (while grub is displaying the boot menu) the machine gets into a
      state where (one of?) the fans start spinning and keep spinning very
      fast and apparently indefinitely. In this state the boot process
      continues very slowly -I eventually give up and press the restart
      button. Usually everything's fine on the second attempt but I
      sometimes need to try a few times.

      The problem usually arises on the first boot of the day - I have no
      idea how that could be - perhaps it just likes the evenings
      better! ;-)

      As the problem occurs so early in the boot process I can't find any
      logging information. Since I haven't even selected a boot
      option/kernel yet, I'm thinking it must be either: grub; BIOS or a
      hardware problem.

      Has anybody else had/solved this problem?

      Any suggestions would be appreciated...

      bye

      ian
    • Dan Christensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
        ianwroberts <ianwroberts@...> writes:

        > The only remaining problem I have is that *sometimes* on bootup
        > (while grub is displaying the boot menu) the machine gets into a
        > state where (one of?) the fans start spinning and keep spinning very
        > fast and apparently indefinitely.

        I sometimes get this when I resume from suspend to ram on my I4150.
        In my case, it doesn't affect operation, but is noisy. To reset the
        fans, I hit Fn-z. Maybe that will work for you too.

        Dan