Laptop won't boot from Xandros disk

  • auwg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
      Got any ideas why?

      It's a 10gig HD, so plenty of room for Xandros with a dual boot.
      I have factory copies of Xandros 2 and 3, not homemade disks.
      Can't make the laptop boot from either X version's CD.

      In Windows, I can see and read a Xandros CD in the drive, but when I
      hit 'restart', as instructed, I get a black screen with line after line
      of 000000000's.
      Incompatible bios?
      I can boot from Win-based CD's.

      First time I've had any problems installing.
      No help in the manual.
      Need guru advice for this one.
      Thanks,
      Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
      Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
      http://www.AbintraPress.com
    • Chris Fox
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
        auwg wrote:

        >Got any ideas why?
        >
        >It's a 10gig HD, so plenty of room for Xandros with a dual boot.
        >I have factory copies of Xandros 2 and 3, not homemade disks.
        >Can't make the laptop boot from either X version's CD.
        >
        >In Windows, I can see and read a Xandros CD in the drive, but when I
        >hit 'restart', as instructed, I get a black screen with line after line
        >of 000000000's.
        >Incompatible bios?
        >I can boot from Win-based CD's.
        >
        >First time I've had any problems installing.
        >No help in the manual.
        >Need guru advice for this one.

        Not a guru here but if you weren't talking about two different disks I
        would say you have some bad disks. Could be that your CD drive just
        "doesn't like" those disks. Sounds absurd but I see it often enough,
        and yes that includes "bought" disks.

        The $64 question: can you install from either of these disks on a
        different machine?

        Running CentOS 4.3 on a Latitude CPi ...
        -C
      • auwg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2006
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fox wrote:
          > The $64 question: can you install
          > from either of these disks on a
          > different machine?

          Yup. Installed Xandros 3Biz on my two desktops with dual boots.
          No probs at all; it found everything and worked fine.

          I can't understand why the lappie can see and read the CDs in Windows,
          but can't see or read them at boot-up, and YES, before anyone asks, the
          lappie CAN boot from a CD.
          It just won't boot from any of my Xandros disks.
          My Fictionwise Ratings: http://tinyurl.com/26v45