Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Connecting an external monitor or beamer

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006

      > This may be way off base, but did you re build your modules after
      > compiling your new custom kernel? When I ran into a similar problem,
      > I think I fixed it by running "make modules_install", and checking
      > config files that might point to elements of the old kernel. I'm
      > using an i8600 with Slack and the 2.5.15 kernel. so none of this
      > might be relevant. Good luck.
      >
      > Oh, your using nvidia's install script right? I think that's where I
      > ran into the kernel conflict till I fixed up these other things.
      > --Douglas
      >
      > and Oh again: nvidia has a detailed document on using your laptop
      > with a tv and all other devices. It's about 50 pages long or so. I
      > think I found it via a google search.

      thanks for all the hints.

      I downloaded and rebuilt a 2.6.14.2 kernel with the existing config
      (make modules && make modules_install && make bzImage). I installed the
      new kernel and adjusted the menu.lst of grub.
      I rebooted into the new kernel and run the nvidia script successfully.

      But as soon as I try to use the nvidia instead of the nv driver, I get
      weird results. I'll investigate further tomorrow. For now I'm a bit
      disappointed because I spent two days with all this weird stuff.

      Thanks a lot for all the help,

      ce
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
        Hi all,

        thanks to the hints in this group, I got it to work. I "simply" took a
        nvidia driver which was released at the time when my current kernel was
        the current kernel, and the problem with symbols not found is gone. I
        have cloned twin view at 1024x768 working right now, so the
        presentation will hopefully work well.

        A special thanks to Alexandre who clearly stated that getting the nvidia
        driver to work is worth the efforts.

        Thanks & best regards

        ce