Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Connecting an external monitor or beamer

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
      This may be way off base, but did you re build your modules after compiling your new custom kernel? When I ran into a similar problem, I think I fixed it by running "make modules_install", and checking config files that might point to elements of the old kernel. I'm using an i8600 with Slack and the 2.5.15 kernel. so none of this might be relevant. Good luck.

      Oh, your using nvidia's install script right? I think that's where I ran into the kernel conflict till I fixed up these other things.
      --Douglas

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
        Hi,

        > This may be way off base, but did you re build your modules after
        > compiling your new custom kernel? When I ran into a similar problem,
        > I think I fixed it by running "make modules_install", and checking
        > config files that might point to elements of the old kernel. I'm
        > using an i8600 with Slack and the 2.5.15 kernel. so none of this
        > might be relevant. Good luck.
        >
        > Oh, your using nvidia's install script right? I think that's where I
        > ran into the kernel conflict till I fixed up these other things.
        > --Douglas
        >
        > and Oh again: nvidia has a detailed document on using your laptop
        > with a tv and all other devices. It's about 50 pages long or so. I
        > think I found it via a google search.

        thanks for all the hints.

        I downloaded and rebuilt a 2.6.14.2 kernel with the existing config
        (make modules && make modules_install && make bzImage). I installed the
        new kernel and adjusted the menu.lst of grub.
        I rebooted into the new kernel and run the nvidia script successfully.

        But as soon as I try to use the nvidia instead of the nv driver, I get
        weird results. I'll investigate further tomorrow. For now I'm a bit
        disappointed because I spent two days with all this weird stuff.

        Thanks a lot for all the help,

        ce
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
          Hi all,

          thanks to the hints in this group, I got it to work. I "simply" took a
          nvidia driver which was released at the time when my current kernel was
          the current kernel, and the problem with symbols not found is gone. I
          have cloned twin view at 1024x768 working right now, so the
          presentation will hopefully work well.

          A special thanks to Alexandre who clearly stated that getting the nvidia
          driver to work is worth the efforts.

          Thanks & best regards

          ce