Connecting an external monitor or beamer

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hi all,

      next week I'll do a presentation of linux audio stuff at a conference.
      This requires that I can connect a beamer to my notebook.

      I have a CRT to test the output. Unfortunately, I do not manage to build
      a configuration that really outputs a usable video signal to it. I get
      something to work after using the Fn - F8 key combo, but it's far away
      from being usable. I tried manipulating various example files I found
      on the web, in the files section of this group and one created by
      Knoppix, but due to my ignorance of all details of the xorg.conf
      syntax, I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

      What I'd like to achieve is a xorg.conf configuration file that drives
      my notebook display statically at 1024x768 and outputs the same
      resolution to the video out after using Fn - F8, so a beamer will
      display the same screen as I see on the notebook display.

      I guess that there are inhabitants in this group who use a similar
      configuration, so if someone could provide a file which produces a
      working signal on the video output in conjunction with the nv driver
      I'd be very happy.

      Some environmental data:

      * Inspiron 8200 notebook
      * 1400x1050 panel
      * NVidia Geforce 2 Go card
      * nv driver used, not the nvidia driver (will not compile on my kernel)
      * 2.6.14.2 home grown kernel (optimized for realtime audio)
      * Gentoo with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
      * USB mouse connected

      Any help is (of course) much appreciated.

      Sorry for the long posting :) .

      ce
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
        Christoph Eckert a écrit :
        > Hi all,
        >

        > next week I'll do a presentation of linux audio stuff at a conference.
        > This requires that I can connect a beamer to my notebook.
        >
        > I have a CRT to test the output. Unfortunately, I do not manage to build
        > a configuration that really outputs a usable video signal to it. I get
        > something to work after using the Fn - F8 key combo, but it's far away
        > from being usable. I tried manipulating various example files I found
        > on the web, in the files section of this group and one created by
        > Knoppix, but due to my ignorance of all details of the xorg.conf
        > syntax, I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
        >
        > What I'd like to achieve is a xorg.conf configuration file that drives
        > my notebook display statically at 1024x768 and outputs the same
        > resolution to the video out after using Fn - F8, so a beamer will
        > display the same screen as I see on the notebook display.
        >
        > I guess that there are inhabitants in this group who use a similar
        > configuration, so if someone could provide a file which produces a
        > working signal on the video output in conjunction with the nv driver
        > I'd be very happy.
        >
        > Some environmental data:
        >
        > * Inspiron 8200 notebook
        > * 1400x1050 panel
        > * NVidia Geforce 2 Go card
        > * nv driver used, not the nvidia driver (will not compile on my kernel)

        It's very easy with the nvidia driver (using xinerama/twinview). Why
        can't you use it? Can you use another kernel for your demo? Is it linked
        to the realtime audio optimzation?
        I had always a lot of problems with nv driver and external monitors. If
        you boot with the external monitor plugged in and with the display only
        on this monitor, if you set up the Monitor section in xorg.cong with the
        parameters of this external monitor maybe it will work (at least on the
        external monitor)...
        If it works, I suggest you tests with the projector of the conference
        before the conference!

        Alex.

        > * 2.6.14.2 home grown kernel (optimized for realtime audio)
        > * Gentoo with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
        > * USB mouse connected
        >
        > Any help is (of course) much appreciated.
        >

        > Sorry for the long posting :) .
        >

        > ce

        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
          Hi Alex,

          > It's very easy with the nvidia driver (using xinerama/twinview). Why
          > can't you use it? Can you use another kernel for your demo? Is it
          > linked to the realtime audio optimzation?
          > I had always a lot of problems with nv driver and external monitors.
          > If you boot with the external monitor plugged in and with the display
          > only on this monitor, if you set up the Monitor section in xorg.cong
          > with the parameters of this external monitor maybe it will work (at
          > least on the external monitor)...
          > If it works, I suggest you tests with the projector of the conference
          > before the conference!

          thanks a lot for the words.

          The module compiles but complains about different gcc versions so I get
          missing symbols.

          I tried rebuilding the kernel and the nvidia driver yesterday which lead
          to a machine which was unable to load any module. I restored the
          previous system state and decided to avoid the nvidia driver.

          But if your experience teaches us that the nvidia driver is the way to
          go, I'll try again. Thanks a lot for the information!

          Best regards

          ce
        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
            This may be way off base, but did you re build your modules after compiling your new custom kernel? When I ran into a similar problem, I think I fixed it by running "make modules_install", and checking config files that might point to elements of the old kernel. I'm using an i8600 with Slack and the 2.5.15 kernel. so none of this might be relevant. Good luck.

            Oh, your using nvidia's install script right? I think that's where I ran into the kernel conflict till I fixed up these other things.
            --Douglas

            >> It's very easy with the nvidia driver (using xinerama/twinview). Why
            >> can't you use it? Can you use another kernel for your demo? Is it
            >> linked to the realtime audio optimzation?
            >> I had always a lot of problems with nv driver and external monitors.
            >> If you boot with the external monitor plugged in and with the display
            >> only on this monitor, if you set up the Monitor section in xorg.cong
            >> with the parameters of this external monitor maybe it will work (at
            >> least on the external monitor)...
            >> If it works, I suggest you tests with the projector of the conference
            >> before the conference!
            >
            >thanks a lot for the words.
            >
            >The module compiles but complains about different gcc versions so I get
            >missing symbols.
            >
            >I tried rebuilding the kernel and the nvidia driver yesterday which lead
            >to a machine which was unable to load any module. I restored the
            >previous system state and decided to avoid the nvidia driver.
            >
            >But if your experience teaches us that the nvidia driver is the way to
            >go, I'll try again. Thanks a lot for the information!
            >

            >Best regards
            >

            >ce

          • Christoph Eckert
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006

              > This may be way off base, but did you re build your modules after
              > compiling your new custom kernel? When I ran into a similar problem,
              > I think I fixed it by running "make modules_install", and checking
              > config files that might point to elements of the old kernel. I'm
              > using an i8600 with Slack and the 2.5.15 kernel. so none of this
              > might be relevant. Good luck.
              >
              > Oh, your using nvidia's install script right? I think that's where I
              > ran into the kernel conflict till I fixed up these other things.
              > --Douglas
              >
              > and Oh again: nvidia has a detailed document on using your laptop
              > with a tv and all other devices. It's about 50 pages long or so. I
              > think I found it via a google search.

              thanks for all the hints.

              I downloaded and rebuilt a 2.6.14.2 kernel with the existing config
              (make modules && make modules_install && make bzImage). I installed the
              new kernel and adjusted the menu.lst of grub.
              I rebooted into the new kernel and run the nvidia script successfully.

              But as soon as I try to use the nvidia instead of the nv driver, I get
              weird results. I'll investigate further tomorrow. For now I'm a bit
              disappointed because I spent two days with all this weird stuff.

              Thanks a lot for all the help,

              ce
            • Christoph Eckert
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
                Hi all,

                thanks to the hints in this group, I got it to work. I "simply" took a
                nvidia driver which was released at the time when my current kernel was
                the current kernel, and the problem with symbols not found is gone. I
                have cloned twin view at 1024x768 working right now, so the
                presentation will hopefully work well.

                A special thanks to Alexandre who clearly stated that getting the nvidia
                driver to work is worth the efforts.

                Thanks & best regards

                ce