Re: [linux-dell-laptops] debian, kernel 2.6. on Inspiron 5150

  • herman@aeronetworks.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
      John DeCarlo wrote ..
      > On 7/5/06, papa_joey2000 <papa_joey2000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey,
      > > i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
      > > For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
      > > Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
      > > where I can get this?

      > I would try one of the modern distributions and figure out which kernel
      > modules work.
      >
      > Only then would I try reconfiguring the kernel.
      >
      > Nowadays the approach is to put support for things like mice and sound
      > into
      > modules that get loaded by the kernel. Not to hard-code the kernel.
      >
      > --
      > John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

      The mouse is an X configuration issue. Sound is an Alsa issue.

      Have a look at this guide:
      http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

      Cheers,

      Herman
    • IbericoVespucio
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2006
        Respondiendo a papa_joey2000 [[linux-dell-laptops] debian, kernel 2.6. on Inspiron 5150], del 05 de julio de 2006 a las 12:47:46 (-0000)

        > Hey,
        > i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
        > For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
        > Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
        > where I can get this?

        I don't think that you need ro reconfigure the kernel

        - Mouse: «make sure that the modules psmouse and mousedev are
        loaded.»

        /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6..../README.Debian.gz

        - Sound: try alsaconf.

        Cheers,

        Ángel.

        --
        ibericovespucio
        @...

        Algunas personas enfocan su vida de modo que vivan con entremeses
        y guarniciones. El plato principal nunca lo conocen.
        -- José Ortega y Gasset. (1883-1955)