debian, kernel 2.6. on Inspiron 5150

  • papa_joey2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 5:47 AM
      Hey,
      i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
      For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
      Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
      where I can get this?

      Thx for your help,

      tired Joe
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5 7:09 AM
        When you say that the mouse doesn't work, how does it not work? Does it have no response at all, or minimal and/or strange response? Also, with Slackware upgrading from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 kernel required an update of alsa. See if that alsa update is available where you got the kernel you're trying to use. Also try to read through the docs in the kernel sources. There might be a solution there. Good luck-- Douglas

        >i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
        >For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
        >Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
        >where I can get this?
        >
        >Thx for your help,
        >
        >tired Joe

      • John DeCarlo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5 8:06 AM
          On 7/5/06, papa_joey2000 <papa_joey2000@...> wrote:

          Hey,
          i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
          For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
          Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
          where I can get this?

          I would try one of the modern distributions and figure out which kernel modules work.

          Only then would I try reconfiguring the kernel.

          Nowadays the approach is to put support for things like mice and sound into modules that get loaded by the kernel.  Not to hard-code the kernel.

          --
          John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
        • herman@aeronetworks.ca
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 8:16 AM
            John DeCarlo wrote ..
            > On 7/5/06, papa_joey2000 <papa_joey2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey,
            > > i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
            > > For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
            > > Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
            > > where I can get this?

            > I would try one of the modern distributions and figure out which kernel
            > modules work.
            >
            > Only then would I try reconfiguring the kernel.
            >
            > Nowadays the approach is to put support for things like mice and sound
            > into
            > modules that get loaded by the kernel. Not to hard-code the kernel.
            >
            > --
            > John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

            The mouse is an X configuration issue. Sound is an Alsa issue.

            Have a look at this guide:
            http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

            Cheers,

            Herman
          • IbericoVespucio
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10 10:21 AM
              Respondiendo a papa_joey2000 [[linux-dell-laptops] debian, kernel 2.6. on Inspiron 5150], del 05 de julio de 2006 a las 12:47:46 (-0000)

              > Hey,
              > i have some troubles with configuration a kernel 2.6. on my laptop.
              > For example the mouse do not work and the sound makes also troubles.
              > Now I am searching for the right kernel config. Does anybody know
              > where I can get this?

              I don't think that you need ro reconfigure the kernel

              - Mouse: «make sure that the modules psmouse and mousedev are
              loaded.»

              /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6..../README.Debian.gz

              - Sound: try alsaconf.

              Cheers,

              Ángel.

              --
              ibericovespucio
              @...

              Algunas personas enfocan su vida de modo que vivan con entremeses
              y guarniciones. El plato principal nunca lo conocen.
              -- José Ortega y Gasset. (1883-1955)