[linux-dell-laptops] Linux-NT dual boot on DELL inspiron?

  • Vivek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
      I needed some advice about having a Linux, NT dual boot on a DELL
      inspiron
      (3500? 3700?). I am at the stage of deciding what laptop to buy and
      would
      really really appreciate any help or pointers at this stage.

      * Would I need to partition the disk and then reinstall NT?
      * or is there any s/w available to partition a disk *safely*
      with NT installed.
      * Where should I install LILO? MBR?
      * Any issue with linux drivers being available for inspiron laptop etc.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
    • Kev Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2000

        I have a two triple boot systems, both at home and work, one of which
        is a
        Dell Lattitude CPi R, although I have set up several dual boot system
        laptops
        for other people in my company. I can't comment on the driver issues
        for an
        Inspiron, but there is no real need to reinstall NT. I repartitioned
        all the
        drives using Partition Magic, which has worked really well every time.
        You
        can create a boot floppy to use a basic verion of Partition Magic, and
        this
        gets around the NT disk control problems.

        As for boot loaders, I actually still use the NT loader. I installed
        LILO
        on the boot sector of the Linux partition, then used a boot floppy to
        go into
        Linux and copy that boot sector into a file on the C: drive. Edit
        the NT boot.ini file to reference this as a menu option, and it allows
        you
        to select Linux from here. If you want more information on this, I can
        send you an email sometime with all the commands etc.

        Hope it all goes well,

        Kev
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2000
          Vivek:

          I currently have an NT/Linux dual boot on an Inspiron 3500. Dell
          shipped my 6GB drive as a 2GB FAT and 4GB NTFS, so I just used
          Partition Magic to delete the NTFS (NT installed on FAT partition) and
          then used the install tool in RH6.1 to partition the now-free space.
          At the moment, I have sound, PC card ethernet, graphics, and all the
          basics working. I'm a newbie to linux, so it's nothing hard to get
          these things to work. There are a lot of Linux on 3500 pages out
          there, and between them all, you'll find something to help you. As for
          booting, I installed Lilo on one of the partitions, and then followed
          one on the mini-howtos to dualboot linux and NT.

          As far as drivers, as I said most everything works. If you want more
          specifics, either email me, or look at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/k
          harker/linux-laptop/ for 3500 pages...I should have one of my own up
          soon

          Good luck

          Peter

          "vivek" <vivekchopr-@...> wrote:
          =282
          > I needed some advice about having a Linux, NT dual boot on a DELL
          > inspiron
          > (3500? 3700?). I am at the stage of deciding what laptop to buy and
          > would
          > really really appreciate any help or pointers at this stage.
          >
          > * Would I need to partition the disk and then reinstall NT?
          > * or is there any s/w available to partition a disk *safely*
          > with NT installed.
          > * Where should I install LILO? MBR?
          > * Any issue with linux drivers being available for inspiron laptop
          etc.

          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Shiwu Gao
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2000

            You can find answers to some of your questions.

            > * Would I need to partition the disk and then reinstall NT?
            You need to partition the disk with fips, yet you can keep the
            Window partition intact during partition and installation. (But
            this should be done with care).

            > * or is there any s/w available to partition a disk *safely*
            > with NT installed.
            Fips works!

            > * Where should I install LILO? MBR?
            Yes, 'Master boot record' when you are prompted with other choices.

            > * Any issue with linux drivers being available for inspiron laptop etc.
            See for example 'Linux on laptops' homepage.

            http://physics.open.ac.uk/~rpblake/linux_laptop

            Good luck

            Shiwu