Dell Harrassment!!!

  • Jonny D
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006

      For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me mailings via US Mail.

      I have emailed them.

      I have got them on DELL Chat.

      I have called them on the phone.

      I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.

      I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.

      As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in their database and NOPE.  They still send me mail... To a person who does not EVEN EXIST... or has never lived at this address!

      HHEELLPP!!!!

      Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?

      Thanks!

      Jon

    • James Frye
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
        I don't quite understand the problem. Are they sending you junk mail -
        advertising and so on? Then just file it in the recycle bin with all the
        rest. Or are they sending "real" letters - bill collections or whatever -
        to this non-existent person?

        If the latter, you could try filing a change of address at the post
        office. Maybe give Dell's HQ as the new address.

        But I wouldn't expect success: I'm still getting mail, including offers
        for credit cards and life insurance (not to mention sample ballots),
        addressed to the husband of the woman I bought my house from. The life
        insurance is particularly amusing, since he died around 1990 :-)

        James

        On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Jonny D wrote:

        > For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
        > mailings via US Mail.
        >

        > I have emailed them.
        >
        > I have got them on DELL Chat.
        >
        > I have called them on the phone.
        >
        > I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
        >
        > I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
        >

        > As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in their
        > database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who does not EVEN
        > EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
        >

        > HHEELLPP!!!!
        >

        > Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?

      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
          Why do you find their mailings so objectionable?
          Have you tried writing "RETURN TO SENDER" and putting them back in the
          outgoing mail?

          Jonny D wrote:

          > For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
          > mailings via US Mail.
          >

          > I have emailed them.
          >
          > I have got them on DELL Chat.
          >
          > I have called them on the phone.
          >
          > I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
          >
          > I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
          >

          > As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in
          > their database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who
          > does not EVEN EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
          >

          > HHEELLPP!!!!
          >

          > Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?

        • Mark Cooper
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
            Have u never heard of the trash.

            Pisses me off when people make a problem for themselves.

            Get over it, as u Yanks say,,,,
            I don't quite understand the problem. Are they sending you junk mail -
            advertising and so on? Then just file it in the recycle bin with all the
            rest. Or are they sending "real" letters - bill collections or whatever -
            to this non-existent person?

            If the latter, you could try filing a change of address at the post
            office. Maybe give Dell's HQ as the new address.

            But I wouldn't expect success: I'm still getting mail, including offers
            for credit cards and life insurance (not to mention sample ballots),
            addressed to the husband of the woman I bought my house from. The life
            insurance is particularly amusing, since he died around 1990 :-)

            James

            On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Jonny D wrote:

            > For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
            > mailings via US Mail.
            >

            > I have emailed them.
            >
            > I have got them on DELL Chat.
            >
            > I have called them on the phone.
            >
            > I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
            >
            > I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
            >

            > As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in their
            > database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who does not EVEN
            > EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
            >

            > HHEELLPP!!!!
            >

            > Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Adam Daniel
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
              Hey, I have a great solution! Why don't you just post a massive whine
              about it on a totally irrelevant mailing list that isn't even hosted by
              DELL!

              You're solution is sure to be found!

              Maybe you could send it through to some other random mailing lists of
              DELL users (NOT Staff) also. Maybe even some lists that have nothing to
              do with the word "DELL" at all.

              Your bound to get a great response and DELL is sure to stop mailing you
              (even though none of their staff will ever read it).

              Jonny D wrote:
              > For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
              > mailings via US Mail.
              >

              > I have emailed them.
              >
              > I have got them on DELL Chat.
              >
              > I have called them on the phone.
              >
              > I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
              >
              > I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
              >

              > As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in
              > their database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who
              > does not EVEN EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
              >

              > HHEELLPP!!!!
              >

              > Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?
              >

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Jon

              Adam Daniel - Senior Consultant

              FORENSIC DATA - Discovery and Recovery
              *The Data Recovery Experts*

              SYDNEY - 107/83 York Street Sydney NSW 2000 Ph:(02)9299 5559
              MELBOURNE - 2/20 Commercial Rd Melbourne VIC 3004 Ph:(03)98677773
              BRISBANE - Brisbane Tech Park Eight Mile Plains QLD 4113 Ph:(07)38535324

              http://www.forensicdata.com.au

              DATA RECOVERY | DATA CONVERSION | COMPUTER FORENSICS

              This email (including attachments) is intended solely for the named
              addressee. It is confidential and may be subject to legal or other
              professional privilege. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived
              or lost because this email has been sent to you by mistake.
              If you have received it in error, please let us know.

              This facsimile is also subject to copyright. No part of it should
              be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent
              of the owner. Any personal information in this email must be handled
              in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

              Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure,
              error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
              errors or omissions.
            • Uche Ogbuji
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
                Folks? Why is a mob assault necessary? The gentleman asked for help.
                Clearly you are either unwilling or unable to help him. Why could you
                not merely ignore the question? You really do belittle yourselves,
                especially in the way that each message exceeds the previous one in
                unwarranted venom.

                Adam Daniel wrote:
                > Hey, I have a great solution! Why don't you just post a massive whine
                > about it on a totally irrelevant mailing list that isn't even hosted by
                > DELL!
                >
                > You're solution is sure to be found!
                >
                > Maybe you could send it through to some other random mailing lists of
                > DELL users (NOT Staff) also. Maybe even some lists that have nothing to
                > do with the word "DELL" at all.
                >
                > Your bound to get a great response and DELL is sure to stop mailing you
                > (even though none of their staff will ever read it).
                >

                > Jonny D wrote:
                >> For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
                >> mailings via US Mail.
                >>

                >> I have emailed them.
                >>
                >> I have got them on DELL Chat.
                >>
                >> I have called them on the phone.
                >>
                >> I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
                >>
                >> I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
                >>

                >> As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in
                >> their database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who
                >> does not EVEN EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
                >>

                >> HHEELLPP!!!!
                >>

                >> Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?
                >>

                >> Thanks!
                >>
                >> Jon
                >>

                >> --

                Uche Ogbuji Fourthought, Inc.
                http://uche.ogbuji.net http://fourthought.com
                http://copia.ogbuji.net http://4Suite.org
                Articles: http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/publications/
              • Chris Fox
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
                  Jonny D wrote:

                  > For over a year now I have been trying to get DELL to stop sending me
                  > mailings via US Mail.
                  >

                  > I have emailed them.
                  >
                  > I have got them on DELL Chat.
                  >
                  > I have called them on the phone.
                  >
                  > I have sent US Certified Mail letters to them.
                  >
                  > I have gone to their marketing prefs web page.
                  >

                  > As months and months go by, I wait for the change to take effect in
                  > their database and NOPE. They still send me mail... To a person who
                  > does not EVEN EXIST... or has never lived at this address!
                  >

                  > HHEELLPP!!!!
                  >

                  > Anyone else been thru this and SUCCESSFULLY solved this issue?

                  Ah what a luxurious life you must lead, that this is yout biggest problem.

                  Me, I just toss the unwanted mail in the fireplace and say "thanks for
                  all the free BTUs!!!"
                • Adam Daniel
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 26, 2006
                    Clearly this is NOT the forum to post this and thats why he has received
                    the replies he has.

                    I don't post my constant problems with DELL's support people and do you
                    know why? because its irrelevant to this list thats why.

                    I don't see a problem in using little sarcasm to get a point across.

                  • Gregory D Watts
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 27, 2006
                      I gotta toss my thoughts in on this.
                      1) I do not believe one should make a complaint w/o proof of such a
                      thing. I do not know if what this person stated is true, but he offers
                      no proof. I have come to learn many people complain to do just that
                      complain. When he went to Dell's site for what ever reason, to buy, to
                      look for more info he CHOOSE to receive notices. People ask for
                      information from a site and just zip through it w/o reading it and the
                      boxes for newsletters are checked by default on EVERY site. If he would
                      have taken the time to read what he agreed to he would never have
                      received anything. And oh yes there are those that will swear they took
                      the mark out, well if you get the email then NO you did not. Like all
                      sites on the Net the notices are done by a bot, so it will one day stop,
                      it just takes a long time in some cases.
                      Gregory D. Watts
                      CompTia A+ Certified
                      Dell Gold Tech Support Specialist
                      http://www.dell.com
                      http://www.support.dell.com
                      http://www.tasana.biz
                      "Computers Don't Have All the Answers!"

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 27, 2006
                        Adam Daniel wrote:
                        Clearly this is NOT the forum to post this and thats why he has received
                        the replies he has.

                        I don't post my constant problems with DELL's support people and do you
                        know why? because its irrelevant to this list thats why.

                        I don't see a problem in using little sarcasm to get a point across.

                        Actually Adam I have to disagree with you... And though this group cannot directly solve Jonny D's problem, and wants to stay focused on solving strictly technical problems,  I think it is fair game for consumers to let each other know how a company is treating or mis-treating them. Jonny D has apparently become quite frustrated with his inability to easily remove himself from what he considers to be a spammer's maillist. (And so it goes with most spammers.) If more people start complaining in forums and groups such as this, where there is a common shared interest in Dell's products and services, then the rest of us benefit from the knowledge, make  our own choices as appropriate, and  hope that eventually Dell will  fix  or change their practices, especially if and  when they see their pocketbooks threatened.  Kinda like unions, how else do you propose to empower disenfranchised consumers if you are unwilling to share or listen to each others experiences?

                        A better response to Jonny D's letter might have been a simple "Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, but unless the Dell marketing and sales people are monitoring this forum it is unlikely that you will get any help here."

                            Marc Chamberlin

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 27, 2006
                          On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

                          > Actually Adam I have to disagree with you... And though this group cannot
                          > directly solve Jonny D's problem, and wants to stay focused on solving
                          > strictly technical problems, I think it is fair game for consumers to let
                          > each other know how a company is treating or mis-treating them. Jonny D has
                          > apparently become quite frustrated with his inability to easily remove
                          > himself from what he considers to be a spammer's maillist.

                          Did I misunderstand the original post? I understood that he was
                          complaining about the snail mail he was getting, not the email. Surely
                          fixing that would be a trivial problem, when it comes from a company like
                          Dell that uses their own domain name. Just set your mail filters to
                          reject everything coming from dell.com :-)

                          James
                        • Jon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
                            Thanks to everyone who responded. I didn't think I'd get that many
                            I work for a living, Union job. Therefore I do *not* have a lot of
                            time on my hands. This is why junk mail for me is a problem. I
                            have neither the time nor resources to do anything with it.

                            Also junk mail is a problem for something called "the environment"!
                            But under a G W Bush Administration, no one would know that our
                            evnvironment is in danger.

                            It's funny how every time I try to report this to DELL, they tell me
                            a different "department name" I need to call, and each time it's
                            incorrect.

                            I appreciate the "return to sender" technique. Does anyone know if
                            this works for large corporations such as Dell?

                            The "throw in garbage" technique is not an option, in CT it is law
                            you recycle paper. Thanks though!

                            Anyhow my next PC will be a UBPC, made in thr USA. At least they
                            have Americans as Tech Support, not someone in Bangladesh named Ted!

                            Hope everyone has a great Independence Day weekend!
                            Jon
                          • DMichael Burns
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
                              Ya know, even though I was gonna give my 2 cents worth about how stupid it was for you to start this OT thread on this board, I kept mum.

                              BUT then you decided to go and make this a political and racist hate thread.

                              I will tell you what department to call, it is the recycle bin.  It took you more time to post this thread and to read all of the replies that it would take to pitch 10 years worth of Dell catalogs and flyers and other snail spam.

                              So, take your liberal tree-hugging happy butt to the next Sierra Club meeting and complain about the Dell mailings there where you would have a more sympathetic ear.

                              And if the powers that be decide to boot me from this group for this post, at least I will not have to listen to a whiny liberal post OT comments like this one again.

                              On 7/1/06, Jon <jonnyd97@...> wrote:

[...]

                              "Men and women belong to different species and communications between them is still in its infancy."
                              --Bill Cosby, American Comedian
                            • Chris Fox
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
                                DMichael Burns wrote:

                                > So, take your liberal tree-hugging happy butt to the next Sierra Club
                                > meeting and complain about the Dell mailings there where you would have a
                                > more sympathetic ear.
                                >
                                > And if the powers that be decide to boot me from this group for this
                                > post,
                                > at least I will not have to listen to a whiny liberal post OT comments
                                > like
                                > this one again.

                                Speaking as one who just joined this list, let me add my novitiate
                                opinion for the regard of those Powers Which Be .. I could go the rest
                                of my life without ever reading another post like THIS one and be quite
                                happy.

                                Differencences of opinion are all well and good, sharp political debate
                                keeps us all on our toes .. but anyone so disconnected from his own
                                self-interest as to sneer at "tree-hugging hippies" is someone whose
                                opinion is utterly without value and whose contributions to the
                                discussion cannot be anything but negative.
                              • Jon
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                                  To set the record straight I am neither tree-hugging nor liberal. I
                                  am a Union laborer, I *work* for a living.

                                  I merely try to follow the laws as put forth within the jurisdiction
                                  in which I reside.

                                  Thanks again for all your replies.

                                  Everyone have a great Holiday!

                                  Jon
                                • Jon
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                                    As the original poster, I see no reason why this person should be
                                    BANNED. I appreciate this response much!

                                    Thanks again,
                                    Jon
                                  • Stephen Lau
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                                      Adios... don't let the door hit you on the way out...