Driver for I915 GM graphics card in LINUX DEBIAN...plz help

  • fearlessprophet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2006
      hi,

      I own a dell inspiron 6000 with standard hardware. It comes with a
      Intel 915 GM graphics card. I installed Dedian Sarge DIstro on my dell
      Laptop. the X server is not starting as it gives me an error on the
      screen and gives a prompt of not recognizing my Graphics card i.e. the
      startx command is not working or help me with some driver installation
      for this graphic card. Can anybody suggest me the way to get debian
      started (desktop environment) on my laptop and I am a newbie as well to
      linux. I have tried the DELL forums but no support. But i can manage
      the problems so please help me and will be greatly appreciated..

      THanks
    • gbgbbaker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2006
        I can only offer you some general advice but it may be helpful. Can
        you post output fom dmesg, lspci, and lsmod as well here. Have you
        read all the documentation about X. liNUX IS lINUX. Read the
        documentation about X either online or with your distro. Read dmesg
        and look for errors about your graphics card. Is the problem with X or
        with the graphics card - try google to find out.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "fearlessprophet"