Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Kubuntu 6.06 on i6000

  • John Logsdon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
      On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Alexander Toresson wrote:

      > On 6/14/06, John Logsdon <j.logsdon@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Not being familiar at all with Debian-based boxen - or KDE laptops come to
      > > that, can anyone suggest how to automate the reconnection? I need to
      > > specify the access point MAC as I have a bridge as well that broadcasts
      > > the same ESSID etc. on the same channel (which is very annoying - why
      > > doesn't wlassistant display the MAC address so you can differentiate?).
      > > I have tried just disabling the interface and enabling it again but this
      > > doesn't work either.
      > >
      > > Clues?
      > >

      > You could try:
      >
      > sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
      >
      > Regards, Alexander Toresson

      That's more RedHat spracht (at least there is no /etc/init.d/network in
      Kubuntu) but I solved this problem by resetting the WEP key from root:

      iwconfig eth1 key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX

      and it connected immediately. Everything else was there, including the
      default route that would be lost if the network were restarted.

      I noticed that in /etc/network/interfaces where the key etc is stored, it
      did not specify the channel so I added:

      wireless-channel 1

      before the key but that still didn't do anything.

      Where can I put this in a Debian-based system to restart the network
      automatically?

      Best wishes

      John

      John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com
    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
        On 6/14/06, John Logsdon <j.logsdon@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Alexander Toresson wrote:
        >
        > > On 6/14/06, John Logsdon <j.logsdon@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Not being familiar at all with Debian-based boxen - or KDE laptops come to
        > > > that, can anyone suggest how to automate the reconnection? I need to
        > > > specify the access point MAC as I have a bridge as well that broadcasts
        > > > the same ESSID etc. on the same channel (which is very annoying - why
        > > > doesn't wlassistant display the MAC address so you can differentiate?).
        > > > I have tried just disabling the interface and enabling it again but this
        > > > doesn't work either.
        > > >
        > > > Clues?
        > > >

        > > You could try:
        > >
        > > sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
        > >
        > > Regards, Alexander Toresson
        >
        > That's more RedHat spracht

        No, this is how it's done in Debian, and I assumed it would be the
        same in Kubuntu, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

        Regards, Alexander Toresson
      • Marvin R. Pierce
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
          /etc/network/interfaces

          j.logsdon@quantex- research. com a.einstein@relativi ty.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
            A solution:

            Add a line

            iwconfig eth1 key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX

            to the end of /etc/acpi/resume.sh

            I tried putting it in /etc/acpi/wireless.sh in the bit where the wireless
            interface was restarted but the key wasn't parsed correctly and therefore
            no connection was made.

            This assumes that I am always connecting to the same network of course but
            if I am connecting to a wifi point elsewhere I can always go through a
            manual procedure. I expect it is possible to check the ESSID...

            Many thanks to those that emailed.