ubuntu on laptop

  • larrygroehler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
      Has anyone installed Ubuntu successfully on a Dell notebook?
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
        I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my Dell Latitude D510. I just upgraded
        yesterday to 6.06 without any error. On this same laptop I've had
        installed Slackware 10.2, Mandriva, Suse 10, and FreeBSD 6. I've got
        to give Ubuntu credit for being, by far, the most laptop friendly
        distro for this laptop. I'll always love slack with xfce, but
        Ubuntu/Gnome won out on the laptop.

        -Keith

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "larrygroehler"
        <larrygroehler@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone installed Ubuntu successfully on a Dell notebook?

      • Steve Kurzman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
          I recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a Dell Inspiron e1505 with no
          problems.

          On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 08:19 +0000, larrygroehler wrote:
          > Has anyone installed Ubuntu successfully on a Dell notebook?

        • twasserman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
            I have also installed Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on an Inspiron E1505.
            My remaining problem is with the high rez widescreen display. I've
            tried using the 915resolution fix, but I still can't get the display
            to work correctly, either on the laptop or using the output for an LCD
            projector. Anyone have success with that?

            Tony

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "larrygroehler"
            > <larrygroehler@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone installed Ubuntu successfully on a Dell notebook?

          • Nancy Rudins
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
              On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, larrygroehler wrote:

              > Has anyone installed Ubuntu successfully on a Dell notebook?

              Yes. I had 5.10 installed on my Inspiron 8500 and it was a very
              painless process. It picked up all my hardware and the system
              tools were very easy to get things configured. I just upgraded
              to Dapper. The upgrade was also a very painless task and nothing
              went amiss. Did you have any particular questions?

              Kind regards,
              Nancy

              Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
              http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nrudins/

              Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)