Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Troubles with an Inspiron 600m

  • ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12 4:25 AM
      kaleb_eubank wrote:
      > I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
      > modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
      > Linux. I tried using the search function in this forum but couldn't get
      > an answer, because no matter how many relevant terms I threw in it
      > wouldn't go below 5000 results. It's getting rather irritating, as
      > every time I need a package I have to boot up windows and log on, then
      > transfer it to my thumbdrive, then my linux machine. Are there any
      > other troublesome issues I should know about on this laptop, besides
      > the wireless? And one other question: my totem and whatever the
      > standard audio player is (not ocurring to me at the moment) throw
      > a "cannot write to resource" every time I try to play a file. This is
      > with both an mp3 (some random song i used to check the mp3 enabling)
      > and an ogm of a blue gender episode. Unfortunately I didn't check
      > before I downloaded the mp3 pack, so I don't know if that's what
      > screwed it up. I know these two questions are completely unrelated.
      > Thanks for the help!
      > Kaleb

      I've had a 600m for a couple years now and, except for the modem, all
      the hardware I can think of is working on Linux (Suse 9.3). Well, I
      can't say that the modem *isn't* working... I've never needed it and so
      never even tried to get it working. Oh, just remembered... I haven't
      tried using any PCI cards on this notebook either, so can't say if
      that's working or not. But the cat5 and wireless network cards both
      work reliably (though setting up a new connection, like at a cybercafe,
      is sometimes a bit of a struggle), as does sound. Another thing is that
      I haven't tried plugging in a second monitor. I've got the docking
      station too, tried to get it working one day, but doing so hosed up so
      much stuff, I gave up on the idea and haven't been back to it.

      I should add though that it hasn't been a smooth and easy road getting
      everything to work. I still like it better than Windows though.

      --
      As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
      drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12 8:18 AM
        On 6/11/06, kaleb_eubank <kaleb_eubank@...> wrote:

        I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
        modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
        Linux.

        1.  Why did you just install Breezy, when Dapper came out about two weeks ago?  It recognizes more hardware than Breezy did.

        2.  You might just need to do a Google search on the model of your modem and "Linux driver".  As a general rule, "winmodems" that can't operate on their own (need software running on the OS) are more difficult to deal with.  OTOH, there is more support out there now.  Like others who posted, I have not had a need to use a modem in awhile.

        --
        John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
      • Aaron Luptak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12 8:51 AM
          the most helpful place may be Ubuntu's wiki and forums for documentation.
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation

          Just a quick glance under the laptops section reveals two possibly
          relevant pages:
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron600m
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron630m

          good luck (and I'll second the question of "why not install dapper?",
          I just installed it on my pos dell lappie, and it seems to work pretty
          well)
          -a
        • kaleb_eubank
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12 10:18 AM
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Luptak"
            <bopApocalypse@...> wrote:

            > the most helpful place may be Ubuntu's wiki and forums for
            documentation.
            > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
            >
            > Just a quick glance under the laptops section reveals two possibly
            > relevant pages:
            > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron600m
            > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron630m
            >
            > good luck (and I'll second the question of "why not install dapper?",
            > I just installed it on my pos dell lappie, and it seems to work pretty
            > well)
            > -a

            I've found a few pages using google of people somebody configuring the
            modem properly. Can somebody explain how to set up yenta_socket for the
            pcmcia bus? That may be part of my problem. And the reason for not
            upgrading to dapper is the same reason I need the modem configured. I
            downloaded breezy while I was still on my college network (man I miss
            that connection...we had 3 t3s for just my dorm...) but high speed is
            not available yet in my area. I requested the dapper disc a couple
            weeks ago, so I'm hoping its coming anytime. With my luck, never. I've
            seen those testing reports, and nobody ever bothers to report on the
            modem, except for the one who mentions linuxant. I tried the free 14.4k
            version of that driver, and nothing happened. Also, can anybody tell me
            how to set up the snd_intel_8x0m driver, as I read a lot of reports of
            it working with this modem and kernel, and that it's supposed to come
            with the kernel, but can't find neither hide nor hair of it.