Troubles with an Inspiron 600m

  • kaleb_eubank
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
      I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
      modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
      Linux. I tried using the search function in this forum but couldn't get
      an answer, because no matter how many relevant terms I threw in it
      wouldn't go below 5000 results. It's getting rather irritating, as
      every time I need a package I have to boot up windows and log on, then
      transfer it to my thumbdrive, then my linux machine. Are there any
      other troublesome issues I should know about on this laptop, besides
      the wireless? And one other question: my totem and whatever the
      standard audio player is (not ocurring to me at the moment) throw
      a "cannot write to resource" every time I try to play a file. This is
      with both an mp3 (some random song i used to check the mp3 enabling)
      and an ogm of a blue gender episode. Unfortunately I didn't check
      before I downloaded the mp3 pack, so I don't know if that's what
      screwed it up. I know these two questions are completely unrelated.
      Thanks for the help!
      Kaleb
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
        Dear Kaleb, not knowing your exact hardware and other essential information, I'm going to make some perhaps vague suggestions. I think the problem your having getting the "not able to write" error is coming from not having proper read, write , and or execute permissions on the device or filesystem. Check the man page to see if there is a suggestion for setting the device so any user can use it. Change the permissions like this chmod 666 file/dev name. For example if I wanted to give everyone read and write permission on my file called test.txt, I would do this

        chmod 666 test.txt <enter>

        For more information type "man chmod" to read the man page. By the way, you will have to be root to change system files.

        Next, you might need to create a device node for your modem. This is especially true if you have a pci modem. Windows would have various com ports 1, 2, 3, or 4. The pci modem might need something akin to a com 5 or 6. Once again look at man or info pages to get help setting up a pci modem. Read the man page: man mknod. That will have most of what you'll need.

        Good luck, and don't get discouraged. It's a steep learning curve, but well worth the trip. -- Douglas

        >I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
        >modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
        >Linux. I tried using the search function in this forum but couldn't get
        >an answer, because no matter how many relevant terms I threw in it
      • ken
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
          kaleb_eubank wrote:
          > I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
          > modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
          > Linux. I tried using the search function in this forum but couldn't get
          > an answer, because no matter how many relevant terms I threw in it
          > wouldn't go below 5000 results. It's getting rather irritating, as
          > every time I need a package I have to boot up windows and log on, then
          > transfer it to my thumbdrive, then my linux machine. Are there any
          > other troublesome issues I should know about on this laptop, besides
          > the wireless? And one other question: my totem and whatever the
          > standard audio player is (not ocurring to me at the moment) throw
          > a "cannot write to resource" every time I try to play a file. This is
          > with both an mp3 (some random song i used to check the mp3 enabling)
          > and an ogm of a blue gender episode. Unfortunately I didn't check
          > before I downloaded the mp3 pack, so I don't know if that's what
          > screwed it up. I know these two questions are completely unrelated.
          > Thanks for the help!
          > Kaleb

          I've had a 600m for a couple years now and, except for the modem, all
          the hardware I can think of is working on Linux (Suse 9.3). Well, I
          can't say that the modem *isn't* working... I've never needed it and so
          never even tried to get it working. Oh, just remembered... I haven't
          tried using any PCI cards on this notebook either, so can't say if
          that's working or not. But the cat5 and wireless network cards both
          work reliably (though setting up a new connection, like at a cybercafe,
          is sometimes a bit of a struggle), as does sound. Another thing is that
          I haven't tried plugging in a second monitor. I've got the docking
          station too, tried to get it working one day, but doing so hosed up so
          much stuff, I gave up on the idea and haven't been back to it.

          I should add though that it hasn't been a smooth and easy road getting
          everything to work. I still like it better than Windows though.

          --
          As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
          drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
            On 6/11/06, kaleb_eubank <kaleb_eubank@...> wrote:

            I just installed ubuntu "breezy badger" on my 600m. I can't get the
            modem configured. Can anyone explain how to do this, as I'm new to
            Linux.

            1.  Why did you just install Breezy, when Dapper came out about two weeks ago?  It recognizes more hardware than Breezy did.

            2.  You might just need to do a Google search on the model of your modem and "Linux driver".  As a general rule, "winmodems" that can't operate on their own (need software running on the OS) are more difficult to deal with.  OTOH, there is more support out there now.  Like others who posted, I have not had a need to use a modem in awhile.

            --
            John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
          • Aaron Luptak
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
              the most helpful place may be Ubuntu's wiki and forums for documentation.
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation

              Just a quick glance under the laptops section reveals two possibly
              relevant pages:
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron600m
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron630m

              good luck (and I'll second the question of "why not install dapper?",
              I just installed it on my pos dell lappie, and it seems to work pretty
              well)
              -a
            • kaleb_eubank
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Luptak"
                <bopApocalypse@...> wrote:

                > the most helpful place may be Ubuntu's wiki and forums for
                documentation.
                > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
                >
                > Just a quick glance under the laptops section reveals two possibly
                > relevant pages:
                > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron600m
                > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron630m
                >
                > good luck (and I'll second the question of "why not install dapper?",
                > I just installed it on my pos dell lappie, and it seems to work pretty
                > well)
                > -a

                I've found a few pages using google of people somebody configuring the
                modem properly. Can somebody explain how to set up yenta_socket for the
                pcmcia bus? That may be part of my problem. And the reason for not
                upgrading to dapper is the same reason I need the modem configured. I
                downloaded breezy while I was still on my college network (man I miss
                that connection...we had 3 t3s for just my dorm...) but high speed is
                not available yet in my area. I requested the dapper disc a couple
                weeks ago, so I'm hoping its coming anytime. With my luck, never. I've
                seen those testing reports, and nobody ever bothers to report on the
                modem, except for the one who mentions linuxant. I tried the free 14.4k
                version of that driver, and nothing happened. Also, can anybody tell me
                how to set up the snd_intel_8x0m driver, as I read a lot of reports of
                it working with this modem and kernel, and that it's supposed to come
                with the kernel, but can't find neither hide nor hair of it.