wireless problems, dell truemobile 1150

  • afrocentric18
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2006
      I have a problem:

      I operate Mepis (Debian) and I am trying to get my Dell truemobile
      1150 wireless card to operate. The computer simply will not detect the
      card. the status and activity indicators at the side of the card
      remain unlighted, as if the card itself is unactivated.Kwifi cannot
      detect the card. However, as i start up the computer and insert the
      card, the boot-up messages indicate that a PCMCIA card was inserted,
      so apparently, the computer is reading something. I have a 2650 inspiron.

      Also, sometimes when I repeatedly insert the wireless card, the
      activity light comes on with a steady light, but the computer still
      cannot detect it.

      I have ndiswrapper installed, and i tried some drivers from dell, but
      again, no dice.

      I tried the lscpi command, and it reads this:

      0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale)
      Chipset Host Bridge (rev 05)
      0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 (Brookdale)
      Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 05)
      0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub
      #1) (rev 02)
      0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub
      #2) (rev 02)
      0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
      (rev 42)
      0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC)
      (rev 02)
      0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02)
      0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller
      (rev 02)
      0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
      82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
      0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem
      Controller (rev 02)
      0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11
      [GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)
      0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M
      [Tornado] (rev 78)
      0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0
      CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller

      My kernel version is 2.6.15-1-586tsc. I run an inspiron 2650 p4 1.7 ghz.

      Can anyone give me any suggestions?
      Is something wrong with the card? Should I buy a new one?
      Did i miss something?

      Thank you.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2006
        Do have the wireless-tools, libiw28, or pcmcia-cs package installed?

        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
      • afrocentric18
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2006
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

          > Do have the wireless-tools, libiw28, or pcmcia-cs package installed?

          Yes. Matter of fact, I have all three installed.

          Thank you for replying.
        • uteck
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2006
            A quick google looks like it is well supported in linux. Either their
            is a problem with your configuration, the card, or the pcmcia slot.
            Do you have another card to try in this machine?

            On 5/5/06, afrocentric18 <afrocentric18@...> wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Do have the wireless-tools, libiw28, or pcmcia-cs package installed?
            > >

            > Yes. Matter of fact, I have all three installed.
            >
            > Thank you for replying.

            no .sig found
            Please restart your browser.
          • Ardell Faul
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2006
              You might have a bent pin on the edge connector inside the laptop. Take
              a bright light and see if you can tell from the outside. Or if you are
              so inclined, you can take the keyboard off and check it out from the
              top. I have also seen instances where the pin gets pushed back through
              the plastic base and detaches from the motherboard. That is a difficult
              repair and involves some delicate soldering.

              Ardell Faul
              Laptop Computer & Monitor Repair
              10816 E. Mission Ave.,
              Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
              ardell@...
              509-891-5188

            • afrocentric18
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2006
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@...> wrote:

                > You might have a bent pin on the edge connector inside the laptop.
                Take
                > a bright light and see if you can tell from the outside. Or if you are
                > so inclined, you can take the keyboard off and check it out from the
                > top. I have also seen instances where the pin gets pushed back through
                > the plastic base and detaches from the motherboard. That is a
                difficult
                > repair and involves some delicate soldering.
                >
                > Ardell Faul
                > Laptop Computer & Monitor Repair
                > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                > ardell@...
                > 509-891-5188

                Thank you for the response.
                There are no missing pins.
                Any other suggestions would be helpful.

                Maybe something is wrong with the card itself.
                But maybe not. When the OS boots up and I insert the card, the screen
                reads that a PCMCIA card was inserted into slot 0, so it is decting
                something. But still, it is as if the card is not there because Kwifi
                will not read it, and Iwconfig tells me no wireless extensions.

                I am so frustrated.

                Thanks.
              • afrocentric18
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2006
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

                  > A quick google looks like it is well supported in linux. Either their
                  > is a problem with your configuration, the card, or the pcmcia slot.
                  > Do you have another card to try in this machine?

                  I do not, but I will find one.

                  This is extremely frustrating.
                  The only way I can get the internet on that computer is through
                  ethernet (at least that works.) Even the modem cannot be detected
                  (cheap winmodem).

                  Thanks again.