Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840

  • Mark Hedges
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Mark Hedges wrote:
      > > Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:56:43 -0000
      > > From: "mhedges333" <hedges@...>
      > > Subject: Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840
      > >

      > > I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
      > > X settings:

      > > This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.
      >
      > Oh, "for the record," the other thing was that I had to load the
      > nvidia_agp driver first, then the proprietary nvidia driver.
      > The plain Linux AGP driver makes 3D accelleration choppy.
      >
      > But I can't figure out how to use the nvidia_fb framebuffer
      > driver on the console with this arrangement, it doesn't do
      > anything when it loads afterward, and if it loads first, the
      > proprietary nvidia driver won't.

      FYI a recent release of a new NVidia driver came down the pipe
      into Debian testing. All the old nvidia-glx* and nvidia-kernel*
      packages have been renamed to nvidia-*-legacy and the new ones,
      you guessed it, don't work, at least not for me. I did manage
      to get the screen to work eventually, but ACPI was broken and
      the screen device wouldn't power down for S3 suspend-to-ram
      (the only state that worked previously... hmm, didn't try S4.)

      I had reinstalled the laptop to Debian testing when everything
      broke down. I had to reinstall stable (sarge) with 2.6.9 and it
      works fine again. But now I can't play TORCS. :-(

      Incidentally, the nvidia kernel binary wasn't available so I had
      to recompile 2.6.9 and build the driver. I recompiled 2.6.9 without
      the linux AGP or the built-in nvidia AGP drivers. This was a better
      solution, because apparently the nvidia driver has its own full AGP
      driver that is enabled with the NvAgp X flag.

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]"
      Driver "nvidia"
      #Option "NoLogo"
      Option "NvAgp" "1"
      Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
      Option "UseInt10Module" "true"
      Option "PowerSaverHsyncOn"
      Option "Mobile" "1"
      #Option "NoBandWidthTest"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Generic Monitor"
      HorizSync 75-75
      VertRefresh 60-60
      ModeLine "1600x1200" 161.0 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1242 -hsync -vsync
      Option "DPMS"
      EndSection

      1600x1200 is the only available resolution.

      /etc/modutils/nvidia* (modprobe) options:

      options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1

      (Because the LCD monitor does not have a working EDID.)

      HTH - YMMV

      Mark