Re: Noisy fans on Dell inspiron 8200 notebook

  • Mark Hedges
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
      FWIW, on my Latitude after a 2.6.16 kernel upgrade recently,
      every time the fans were turned on by the BIOS they came on at
      full throttle and would not turn off. The temp goes so low I
      could touch the processor. It had worked fine before, letting
      the BIOS control the fans. Now if I run i8kmon in daemon mode
      it takes over and throttles the fans down according to
      temperature. Maybe it's a bug introduced into ACPI that
      conflicts with the Dell ACPI system, I don't know.

      Mark