Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Noisy fans on Dell inspiron 8200 notebook

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
      Sounds about right. I had the fans replaced twice under warranty on my 8200.
      Attempts to blow compressed air, vaccuum etc all resulted in a fixup
      for about 5-10 minutes before being back to the horrible noise.

      Flip side is that until I replaced that laptop very recently it was
      running near continuously 24x7. So it probably hurt the lifetime of
      the fans more.

      I would advise trying to get them replaced. YMMV.

      - Steve

      On 4/21/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@...> wrote:
      > The fan(s) on my Dell inspiron 8200 notebook are starting to make a lot of
      > noise. Is this something that I can clean somehow or do I need to replace
      > them? Can *I* even replace them -- are the relatively easy to get to, or do
      > I have to take apart the entire notebook to do this. What are the make and
      > model and price of these fans (or better/quieter ones)?
    • Mark Hedges
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
        FWIW, on my Latitude after a 2.6.16 kernel upgrade recently,
        every time the fans were turned on by the BIOS they came on at
        full throttle and would not turn off. The temp goes so low I
        could touch the processor. It had worked fine before, letting
        the BIOS control the fans. Now if I run i8kmon in daemon mode
        it takes over and throttles the fans down according to
        temperature. Maybe it's a bug introduced into ACPI that
        conflicts with the Dell ACPI system, I don't know.

        Mark