RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Noisy fans on Dell inspiron 8200 notebook

  • Daevid Vincent
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006

      I've used this notebook several days per week since the day I bought it new from Dell back in 2002. I know the sound difference of the fans then and now. They sorta make a "rattling" sound or a "grinding" sound -- and yes, it is when they kick into full gear. It sounds like if there is dirt in the bearings or something, but i've tried the compressed air and even tried some WD-40 to lubricate them. I think they're just wearing out.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
        Sounds about right. I had the fans replaced twice under warranty on my 8200.
        Attempts to blow compressed air, vaccuum etc all resulted in a fixup
        for about 5-10 minutes before being back to the horrible noise.

        Flip side is that until I replaced that laptop very recently it was
        running near continuously 24x7. So it probably hurt the lifetime of
        the fans more.

        I would advise trying to get them replaced. YMMV.

        - Steve

        On 4/21/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@...> wrote:
        > The fan(s) on my Dell inspiron 8200 notebook are starting to make a lot of
        > noise. Is this something that I can clean somehow or do I need to replace
        > them? Can *I* even replace them -- are the relatively easy to get to, or do
        > I have to take apart the entire notebook to do this. What are the make and
        > model and price of these fans (or better/quieter ones)?
      • Mark Hedges
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
          FWIW, on my Latitude after a 2.6.16 kernel upgrade recently,
          every time the fans were turned on by the BIOS they came on at
          full throttle and would not turn off. The temp goes so low I
          could touch the processor. It had worked fine before, letting
          the BIOS control the fans. Now if I run i8kmon in daemon mode
          it takes over and throttles the fans down according to
          temperature. Maybe it's a bug introduced into ACPI that
          conflicts with the Dell ACPI system, I don't know.

          Mark