Screen Resolution on Dell Latitude D510

  • bo_bo_es
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20 3:42 AM
      Hi all:

      Simple question:

      Is it possible to run Linux on the Latitude D510 at a resolution higher
      than the machine native 1024x768 ?

      I use Ubuntu 5.10 and everything works fine except that I can not get my
      *preferred* 1280x1024 resolution.

      The laptop comes with a 15" XGA (1024x768 native resolution) and after
      weeks of trials (mainly using 915resolution) had no success. I guess it is
      impossible, but maybe somebody knows a way of "scaling" the screen or
      something similar.

      Thanks in advance

      xavi
    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20 7:06 AM
        If the resolution of the tft is 1024x768, there's no way to get a
        higher resolution. Unlike crts, tfts have a static resolution that
        can't be changed. If they are asked to go into a lower resolution they
        simply scale it up to the correct scale, but the pixels are still the
        same size and amount as in the highest resolution it's capable of. At
        most you could get 1280x1024 downscaled to 1024x768 in software, but
        I'm not aware of any way of doing that.

        Regards, Alexander Toresson

        On 4/20/06, bo_bo_es <bo_bo_es@...> wrote:
        > Hi all:
        >
        > Simple question:
        >
        > Is it possible to run Linux on the Latitude D510 at a resolution higher
        > than the machine native 1024x768 ?
        >
        > I use Ubuntu 5.10 and everything works fine except that I can not get my
        > *preferred* 1280x1024 resolution.
        >
        > The laptop comes with a 15" XGA (1024x768 native resolution) and after
        > weeks of trials (mainly using 915resolution) had no success. I guess it is
        > impossible, but maybe somebody knows a way of "scaling" the screen or
        > something similar.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > xavi

      • bo_bo_es
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21 12:35 AM
          O.K. Thanks a lot. At least now I know that I can stop
          trying things

          xavi

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Toresson"
          <alexander.toresson@...> wrote:

          > If the resolution of the tft is 1024x768, there's no way to get a
          > higher resolution. Unlike crts, tfts have a static resolution that
          > can't be changed. If they are asked to go into a lower resolution they
          > simply scale it up to the correct scale, but the pixels are still the
          > same size and amount as in the highest resolution it's capable of. At
          > most you could get 1280x1024 downscaled to 1024x768 in software, but
          > I'm not aware of any way of doing that.
          >
          > Regards, Alexander Toresson
          >
          > On 4/20/06, bo_bo_es <bo_bo_es@...> wrote:
          > > Hi all:
          > >
          > > Simple question:
          > >
          > > Is it possible to run Linux on the Latitude D510 at a
          resolution higher
          > > than the machine native 1024x768 ?
          > >
          > > I use Ubuntu 5.10 and everything works fine except that I can
          not get my
          > > *preferred* 1280x1024 resolution.
          > >
          > > The laptop comes with a 15" XGA (1024x768 native resolution)
          and after
          > > weeks of trials (mainly using 915resolution) had no success. I
          guess it is
          > > impossible, but maybe somebody knows a way of "scaling" the screen or
          > > something similar.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance
          > >
          > > xavi

        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21 1:23 AM
            Yes, the tft have a static resolution.
            You can use another resolution with scaling, but the result is often
            bad. For a higher resolution, you should use compression (very bad).
            But you can have a 1024x768 display and a 1280x1024 resolution. You just
            see a part of the display and you use the mouse for scroll.

            Alex.