Re: suspending a process

  • herman@aeronetworks.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
      First off: I have not actually followed this thread, so I am kinda jumping in sideways here...

      Maybe you need to look at Bash job control: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      and this: http://www.lugbz.org/content/sections/workshops/bash-intro-2003-04-26/slide_nohup.html

      The job control commands that are nice to know are:
      ctrl-z
      bg
      fg
      jobs
      &
      nohup
      nice
      renice
      kill

      Of course, job control only works under a job control capable shell, which is one reason why Bash is popular.

      Cheers,

      Herman
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
        --- parenthetically_yours <ygd800@...> wrote:

        > The first part of what you say is not true - a core dump relates only
        > to the single process it was created from. The second part is true -
        > suspending a process and restarting it is only possible in trivial
        > cases where there are no files open (for example) and no devices in
        > use. If you can write your process to those constraints then it is
        > possible to suspend and restart individual processes - just reverse
        > the core dump process. This has been done before (here's a link):
        >
        > http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2005-11/msg00050.html

        Forgive my misinformation. I made an assumption based on some indirectly
        related information. ... This topic has become much more interesting :-)

        _haedn
      • Daniel Mahler
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
          Ufortunately I do not remember the reference,
          but, by pure coincindence, I just recently read somewhere
          that the current Fortran standard specifies this feature.
          However, Fortran, is not my spciality, so that's all I know.

          I believe that the Elk scheme interpreter also could save out
          an image which would resume from the point where the savecall was madel.
          ie it saved out stack state and local environment etc not just glbal
          definitions,
          which is what most other lisp like systems save out when they wrrite an image..
          Being Scheme it was done with continuations.

          Daniel