Re: suspending a process

  • parenthetically_yours
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
      Haedn

      > But a
      > core dump will give you the state of the system with ALL the
      processes which
      > are running at the time, not just the one you are interested in.
      Trying to
      > restore the machine state to regain one process would be very
      problematic as so
      > many other things change between execution times.

      The first part of what you say is not true - a core dump relates only
      to the single process it was created from. The second part is true -
      suspending a process and restarting it is only possible in trivial
      cases where there are no files open (for example) and no devices in
      use. If you can write your process to those constraints then it is
      possible to suspend and restart individual processes - just reverse
      the core dump process. This has been done before (here's a link):

      http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2005-11/msg00050.html

      If you can change the process to fit the constraints then you might
      find that there is less work to save the process' state in some other
      was and avoid the hassle of restarting from a core dump.

      If you try it, good luck, and be sure to tell us of your success

      /PY
    • herman@aeronetworks.ca
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
        First off: I have not actually followed this thread, so I am kinda jumping in sideways here...

        Maybe you need to look at Bash job control: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
        and this: http://www.lugbz.org/content/sections/workshops/bash-intro-2003-04-26/slide_nohup.html

        The job control commands that are nice to know are:
        ctrl-z
        bg
        fg
        jobs
        &
        nohup
        nice
        renice
        kill

        Of course, job control only works under a job control capable shell, which is one reason why Bash is popular.

        Cheers,

        Herman
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
          --- parenthetically_yours <ygd800@...> wrote:

          > The first part of what you say is not true - a core dump relates only
          > to the single process it was created from. The second part is true -
          > suspending a process and restarting it is only possible in trivial
          > cases where there are no files open (for example) and no devices in
          > use. If you can write your process to those constraints then it is
          > possible to suspend and restart individual processes - just reverse
          > the core dump process. This has been done before (here's a link):
          >
          > http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2005-11/msg00050.html

          Forgive my misinformation. I made an assumption based on some indirectly
          related information. ... This topic has become much more interesting :-)

          _haedn
        • Daniel Mahler
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18, 2006
            Ufortunately I do not remember the reference,
            but, by pure coincindence, I just recently read somewhere
            that the current Fortran standard specifies this feature.
            However, Fortran, is not my spciality, so that's all I know.

            I believe that the Elk scheme interpreter also could save out
            an image which would resume from the point where the savecall was madel.
            ie it saved out stack state and local environment etc not just glbal
            definitions,
            which is what most other lisp like systems save out when they wrrite an image..
            Being Scheme it was done with continuations.

            Daniel