No X server support for Inspiron E1505/945GM WSXGA+ on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy

  • twasserman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
      I've been unable to get the graphical display to work properly on the
      new Inspiron E1505 with the high rez display supported by the 945GM
      chipset. All of Ubuntu's text-based features work fine, and I have
      done the standard apt-get updates/upgrades.

      Basically, the X Server won't start if I specify the device as "i810"
      for the Intel chipset. If I change it to "vesa" and add an entry for
      12M of video RAM, everything starts OK and the apps work fine.
      However, the max resolution for vesa is 1280x1024, which creates an
      incorrect aspect ratio on the display, making it impossible to work
      with images and skewing web pages.

      Has anyone had a similar problem and found a straightforward solution
      (no kernel recompilation)? I've seen some discussions around this
      problem for the Dapper release (6.04), but it doesn't appear to be
      resolved yet. I've also seen the 915resolution hack, but that doesn't
      appeal to me, since it requires applying it every time you boot.

      On a related topic, has anyone had success in getting full and correct
      resolution with a different distro?
    • Sebastien
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2006
        Hi there,

        I also have an E1505 and I've tried just about every major distro out
        there: Kubuntu 5.10, Mandriva 2006, Fedora Core 5, SUSE 9.3, SUSE 10.0
        and SUSE 10.1 Beta 9. The latter worked the best. FC 5 was also able to
        detect the graphics card correctly, but I prefer SUSE. I am actually
        writing this on the laptop.

        SUSE 10.1 RC1 should be coming out on Wednesday.

        twasserman wrote:
        > I've been unable to get the graphical display to work properly on the
        > new Inspiron E1505 with the high rez display supported by the 945GM
        > chipset. All of Ubuntu's text-based features work fine, and I have
        > done the standard apt-get updates/upgrades.
        >
        > Basically, the X Server won't start if I specify the device as "i810"
        > for the Intel chipset. If I change it to "vesa" and add an entry for
        > 12M of video RAM, everything starts OK and the apps work fine.
        > However, the max resolution for vesa is 1280x1024, which creates an
        > incorrect aspect ratio on the display, making it impossible to work
        > with images and skewing web pages.
        >
        > Has anyone had a similar problem and found a straightforward solution
        > (no kernel recompilation)? I've seen some discussions around this
        > problem for the Dapper release (6.04), but it doesn't appear to be
        > resolved yet. I've also seen the 915resolution hack, but that doesn't
        > appeal to me, since it requires applying it every time you boot.
        >
        > On a related topic, has anyone had success in getting full and correct
        > resolution with a different distro?

      • uteck
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006
          You could try the latest Ubuntu 'flight' cd if you want to stay with a
          Debian base. I am using that now a couple machines at it works and
          installs fine, but they are not the model you are using.

          On 4/8/06, Sebastien <dodo_islander@...> wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I also have an E1505 and I've tried just about every major distro out
          > there: Kubuntu 5.10, Mandriva 2006, Fedora Core 5, SUSE 9.3, SUSE 10.0
          > and SUSE 10.1 Beta 9. The latter worked the best. FC 5 was also able to
          > detect the graphics card correctly, but I prefer SUSE. I am actually
          > writing this on the laptop.
          >
          > SUSE 10.1 RC1 should be coming out on Wednesday.
          >

          > twasserman wrote:
          > > I've been unable to get the graphical display to work properly on the
          > > new Inspiron E1505 with the high rez display supported by the 945GM
          > > chipset. All of Ubuntu's text-based features work fine, and I have
          > > done the standard apt-get updates/upgrades.
          > >
          > > Basically, the X Server won't start if I specify the device as "i810"
          > > for the Intel chipset. If I change it to "vesa" and add an entry for
          > > 12M of video RAM, everything starts OK and the apps work fine.
          > > However, the max resolution for vesa is 1280x1024, which creates an
          > > incorrect aspect ratio on the display, making it impossible to work
          > > with images and skewing web pages.
          > >
          > > Has anyone had a similar problem and found a straightforward solution
          > > (no kernel recompilation)? I've seen some discussions around this
          > > problem for the Dapper release (6.04), but it doesn't appear to be
          > > resolved yet. I've also seen the 915resolution hack, but that doesn't
          > > appeal to me, since it requires applying it every time you boot.
          > >
          > > On a related topic, has anyone had success in getting full and correct
          > > resolution with a different distro?

          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.
        • Mark Hedges
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2006
            > > twasserman wrote:
            > > > I've been unable to get the graphical display to work properly on the
            > > > new Inspiron E1505 with the high rez display supported by the 945GM
            > > > chipset. All of Ubuntu's text-based features work fine, and I have
            > > > done the standard apt-get updates/upgrades.

            It sounds more like a question to ask (or search for) on the
            x.org wiki or mailing list. There is supposedly support for
            i945G, don't know about i945GM, maybe they need to know it
            doesn't work right, maybe your debug output would help them.

            Mark
          • gudavalli ramesh babu
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
              Hi ,

              I have Inspiron - 630m . i too have the same problem
              . X interface is not working so i was working in the
              text based mode. when i tried to start the xserver
              using startx i could see some errors.

              Any help to resolve this is much appreciated.

              rgds,
              Ramesh

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • gudavalli ramesh babu
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
                I fogot to mention that that this is on Suse 10.0

                rgds,
                Ramesh

                --- gudavalli ramesh babu <gudavalli_77@...>

                http://mail.yahoo.com