Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 5150 HD replacement

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
      I think the top killer of laptop hard drives is vibration while it is
      running. But if you are concerned about heat, then get either a 4500
      rpm or 5200 rpm drive as they will generate less heat. Otherwise
      there is not any differenance between them.

      On 4/7/06, carstenrieck <carsten.rieck@...> wrote:
      > this is off-topic, sorry!
      >
      > my 30G HD (Toshiba HDD2181 MK3021GAS) in my 5150 died recently
      > (<2years old) and I am looking for a replacement. Any helpful
      > suggestions ?
      > In the 5150 the PCMCIA slot is right above the HD and I use a wireless
      > card in there, which gets rather hot during operation. It is not
      > always activated but properly prevents the HD cooling anyway. Has
      > anybody else had problems with this model (HD and 5150)? Are any 2.5"
      > hardisks more robust to heat than others? Performance is not my first
      > priority! I just want to make sure the new HD is not going to meet the
      > same death as the old one.
      >
      > thanks, with regards
      > Carsten

      no .sig found
      Please restart your browser.
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        The slower drives are also cheaper and use less battery power.