Skip to search.

Install centOS 4.3 on inspiraon 6000 failed

  • parkingsv
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
      I tried to install centOS 4.3 on my inspiron 6000 laptop.
      I am installing from my CD drive and the CD ISO image is
      from centOS.org. The installation process asked me whether
      to install in graphic mode or text mode. No matter whatever
      I choose, the following screens just blink. I guess it is
      a hardware compatability problem. The inspiron 6000
      has a 15.4' screen that is wider than usual.
      Will that cause any problem? Do I need to specify amy
      mode of display during the installation? I kind of remember
      the windows 2000 installer has an option to install in low
      resolution VGA mode. Wandering if linux installer has similar
      feature.
    • parenthetically_yours
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
        parkingsv

        > I tried to install centOS 4.3 on my inspiron 6000 laptop.

        The text install should be OK allowing you to set up graphics later,
        more likely the cause of your problems is the SATA disk interface. You
        may need to manually select the drivers for that, or use a more
        up-to-date distribution.

        Fedora Core 4 and 5 work well on Inspiron 6000

        /PY