Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 630m .. failing to load WindowsX system in SuSE 10.0

  • gudavalli ramesh babu
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15, 2006
      i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
      setups for the X system.

      Do i need to configure the X-system .

      when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
      mode and not to X mode.

      please guide me..

      thanks,
      Ramesh

      --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
      wrote:

      > Other than installing things, what have you done to
      > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
      > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chad Sutton
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 16, 2006
        Yes you will need to install X-Windows. You should choose a window
        manager (KDE or Gnome).

        1.) After you login (either login as root or su to root), run the
        command "yast" (without the quotes).
        2.) Select "Software Management"
        3.) Change your filter to "Selections" (you can use alt-f to select
        filters)
        4.) Select "Graphical Base System"
        5.) Select "KDE Desktop Environment" and/or "Gnome System" (you can
        install both if you want).

        If these items are already selected then you already have the X system
        and something else is wrong. If that is the case post back here and I'm
        sure we can help you in configuring X properly.

        On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh babu wrote:
        > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
        > setups for the X system.
        >
        > Do i need to configure the X-system .
        >
        > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
        > mode and not to X mode.
        >
        > please guide me..
        >
        > thanks,
        > Ramesh
        >

        > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Other than installing things, what have you done to
        > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
        > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

        Later,
        Chad Sutton
        http://chadarius.com
        csutton@...
        chadraius@...
      • Chad Sutton
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16, 2006
          Forgot to ask you for some config files and information about your
          hardware.

          What video card do you have on that model Dell?

          If after you have checked that X and KDE or Gnome is installed and you
          still have problems it would be very useful for you to post the contents
          of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Also, if there was a problem starting X then
          there should be some error messages in your /var/log/messages file. It
          would be helpful to see those error messages as well.

          On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh babu wrote:
          > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
          > setups for the X system.
          >
          > Do i need to configure the X-system .
          >
          > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
          > mode and not to X mode.
          >
          > please guide me..
          >
          > thanks,
          > Ramesh
          >

          > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Other than installing things, what have you done to
          > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
          > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

          Later,
          Chad Sutton
          http://chadarius.com
          csutton@...
          chadraius@...
        • Pawel Drapala
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006

            So I got wpa working on my Dell 700m with Ubuntu Breezy. Everything is fine, my notebook picks up wifi at home, or coffee shop without any effort on my part. That's the good part.

            However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2 IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.

            What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the proffered gateway?

            Thanks.

            Yahoo! Mail
          • gudavalli ramesh babu
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
              Thanks Much for your help. I will try the steps listed
              by you and let you know the result.

              Rgds,
              Ramesh

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • gudavalli ramesh babu
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                Chand,

                I started yast and the Graphical Based Sytem , KDE
                Desktop Env installed ( i before them).

                What entries should i look in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                I found entries for mouse. I cannot see any entry
                related to the videocard.

                From windows i see the below entry under display
                adapters

                Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chip set..

                In the /etc/log/messages i found the below lines

                IO error in Xopen Diaplay
                X server For Display :0 terminated unxpectdly
                Display :0 cannot be opened.

                rgds,
                Ramesh

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • gudavalli ramesh babu
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                  i could see the below section in the
                  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install . I guess that this section
                  is linked to the error displayed in the messges file.

                  #Screen Section for module X support
                  #-----------------------------------
                  Section "Screen"
                  Subsection "Display"
                  Depth 16
                  Modes "800x600"
                  EndSubSection
                  Subsection "Display"
                  Depth 24
                  Modes "800x600"
                  EndSubSection
                  Subsection "Display"
                  Depth 32
                  Modes "800x600"
                  EndSubSection
                  Subsection "Display"
                  Depth 8
                  Modes "800x600"
                  EndSubSection
                  Device "Device[0]"
                  identifier "Screeen[0]"
                  Monitor "Monitor[0]"
                  EndSection

                  correct me if my guesswork is wrong.

                  Rgds,
                  Ramesh

                  --- Chad Sutton <csutton@...> wrote:

                  > Forgot to ask you for some config files and
                  > information about your
                  > hardware.
                  >
                  > What video card do you have on that model Dell?
                  >
                  > If after you have checked that X and KDE or Gnome is
                  > installed and you
                  > still have problems it would be very useful for you
                  > to post the contents
                  > of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Also, if there was a problem
                  > starting X then
                  > there should be some error messages in your
                  > /var/log/messages file. It
                  > would be helpful to see those error messages as
                  > well.
                  >

                  > On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh
                  > babu wrote:
                  > > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done
                  > any
                  > > setups for the X system.
                  > >
                  > > Do i need to configure the X-system .
                  > >
                  > > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to
                  > text
                  > > mode and not to X mode.
                  > >
                  > > please guide me..
                  > >
                  > > thanks,
                  > > Ramesh
                  > >

                  > > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Other than installing things, what have you done
                  > > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
                  > > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Andrew Thompson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                    My solution to a similar situation was to add a few lines to rc.local,
                    so that it searches for the ESSIDs of the wifi APs I use (home, office,
                    customers). If it finds a known one, it makes the connection, otherwise
                    it starts the cable interface.

                    It's not the most elegant solution, but it works for me.

                    I'd be happy to send a copy, if you think it might help.

                    Andrew
                    AAT Computer Services

                    Pawel Drapala wrote:
                    > However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and
                    > occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2
                    > IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.
                    >
                    > What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa
                    > shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of
                    > anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the
                    > proffered gateway?
                  • Pawel Drapala
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                      It be nice to see what kind of script you used. Although it took some effort  to get wpa going and I'm not too enthusiastic about starting all over with a different approach :)

                      In my case, if I need to kill wifi I simply type:

                      rmmod ipw2200

                      and to get it back:

                      modprobe ipw2200
                      /etc/init.d/networking restart
                      /etc/init.d/ifplugd start
                      /etc/init.d/wpasupplicant start

                      I put some double click buttons on the desktop to do the above (for simplicity)

                      -Pawel

                      Pawel Drapala wrote:
                      > However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and
                      > occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2
                      > IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.
                      >
                      > What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa
                      > shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of
                      > anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the
                      > proffered gateway?

                      Yahoo! Mail