Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840

  • Mark Hedges
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
      > Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:56:43 -0000
      > From: "mhedges333" <hedges@...>
      > Subject: Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840
      >

      > I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
      > X settings:

      > This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.

      Oh, "for the record," the other thing was that I had to load the
      nvidia_agp driver first, then the proprietary nvidia driver.
      The plain Linux AGP driver makes 3D accelleration choppy.

      But I can't figure out how to use the nvidia_fb framebuffer
      driver on the console with this arrangement, it doesn't do
      anything when it loads afterward, and if it loads first, the
      proprietary nvidia driver won't.

      Mark
    • Mark Hedges
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2006
        On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Mark Hedges wrote:
        > > Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:56:43 -0000
        > > From: "mhedges333" <hedges@...>
        > > Subject: Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840
        > >

        > > I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
        > > X settings:

        > > This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.
        >
        > Oh, "for the record," the other thing was that I had to load the
        > nvidia_agp driver first, then the proprietary nvidia driver.
        > The plain Linux AGP driver makes 3D accelleration choppy.
        >
        > But I can't figure out how to use the nvidia_fb framebuffer
        > driver on the console with this arrangement, it doesn't do
        > anything when it loads afterward, and if it loads first, the
        > proprietary nvidia driver won't.

        FYI a recent release of a new NVidia driver came down the pipe
        into Debian testing. All the old nvidia-glx* and nvidia-kernel*
        packages have been renamed to nvidia-*-legacy and the new ones,
        you guessed it, don't work, at least not for me. I did manage
        to get the screen to work eventually, but ACPI was broken and
        the screen device wouldn't power down for S3 suspend-to-ram
        (the only state that worked previously... hmm, didn't try S4.)

        I had reinstalled the laptop to Debian testing when everything
        broke down. I had to reinstall stable (sarge) with 2.6.9 and it
        works fine again. But now I can't play TORCS. :-(

        Incidentally, the nvidia kernel binary wasn't available so I had
        to recompile 2.6.9 and build the driver. I recompiled 2.6.9 without
        the linux AGP or the built-in nvidia AGP drivers. This was a better
        solution, because apparently the nvidia driver has its own full AGP
        driver that is enabled with the NvAgp X flag.

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]"
        Driver "nvidia"
        #Option "NoLogo"
        Option "NvAgp" "1"
        Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
        Option "UseInt10Module" "true"
        Option "PowerSaverHsyncOn"
        Option "Mobile" "1"
        #Option "NoBandWidthTest"
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync 75-75
        VertRefresh 60-60
        ModeLine "1600x1200" 161.0 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1242 -hsync -vsync
        Option "DPMS"
        EndSection

        1600x1200 is the only available resolution.

        /etc/modutils/nvidia* (modprobe) options:

        options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1

        (Because the LCD monitor does not have a working EDID.)

        HTH - YMMV

        Mark