Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: fan state

  • ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
      Nemtos wrote:
      > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
      > Good luck to Ken.

      Nemtos,

      Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

      (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

      And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

      Thanks much,
      ken

      --
      "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
      said the big noema to the little noema.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
        > Nemtos,
        >
        > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
        >
        > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
        >
        > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

        Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
        I just used: modprobe i8k
        lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
        whatever this means.

        I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
        simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
        still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

        Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
        command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
        months ago in message #27545.

        Thanks again
      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
          Nemtos a écrit :
          >>Nemtos,
          >>
          >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
          >>
          >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
          >>
          >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
          >

          > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
          > I just used: modprobe i8k
          > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
          > whatever this means.

          This line is not interesting. With
          cat /proc/i8k
          you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
          power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

          Alex.

          > I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
          > simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
          > still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.
          >
          > Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
          > command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
          > months ago in message #27545.
          >
          > Thanks again

          http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
          tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417