Dell C600 power problems

  • tommurphy73
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2006

      I have a dell c600 motherboard which does not power up. I purchased a
      new motherboard on ebay and got the laptop going so am now left with a
      motherboard which I can experiment with. I also have an inspiron 500
      with a broken power socked. I have two options. 1. Fix the power
      socket or 2. Get the c600 motherboard going and replace the broken one.
      When the ac adapter is plugged into the c600 motherboard and a battery
      is in place the battery will charge. The motherboard will not boot with
      either battery or ac adapter. I was measuring the signals around the ac
      adapter plug on the c600 motherboard and found that there was a
      connection to ground and +19.5V but the third connector which has a
      very thin pcb track coming from it does not appear to have any
      continuity. What is the function of the third pin? I wonder if this
      went open circuit if a regulator or other compinent would be damaged
      causing the laptop not to boot?

      If anyone has some words of wisdom or can point me in the some
      direction I would be very grateful. I am not afraid to use a soldering
      iron, Oscilloscope or multimeter.

      Regards
      Tom