Re: fan state

  • Nemtos
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
      Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
      Good luck to Ken.

      > Did you try
      > cat /proc/i8k
      >
      > Nemtos a écrit :
      > > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
      > > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
      > > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
      > > Thank you
    • ken
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
        Nemtos wrote:
        > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
        > Good luck to Ken.

        Nemtos,

        Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

        (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

        And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

        Thanks much,
        ken

        --
        "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
        said the big noema to the little noema.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
          > Nemtos,
          >
          > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
          >
          > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
          >
          > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

          Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
          I just used: modprobe i8k
          lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
          whatever this means.

          I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
          simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
          still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

          Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
          command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
          months ago in message #27545.

          Thanks again
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
            Nemtos a écrit :
            >>Nemtos,
            >>
            >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
            >>
            >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
            >>
            >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
            >

            > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
            > I just used: modprobe i8k
            > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
            > whatever this means.

            This line is not interesting. With
            cat /proc/i8k
            you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
            power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

            Alex.

            > I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
            > simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
            > still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.
            >
            > Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
            > command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
            > months ago in message #27545.
            >
            > Thanks again

            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417