Re: [linux-dell-laptops] fan state

  • ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
      Alexandre Tessier wrote:
      > Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
      > I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

      # modprobe i8k
      FATAL: Error inserting i8k
      (/lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko): No
      such device
      # ll /etc/modules
      /bin/ls: /etc/modules: No such file or directory

      It must not be part of 9.3 Pro. It looks like I compiled some source
      code for it though, because I do have
      /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

      So what's the device that modprobe is telling me I don't have?

      Thanks for the tip.
      ken

      --
      "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
      said the big noema to the little noema.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
        Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
        Good luck to Ken.

        > Did you try
        > cat /proc/i8k
        >
        > Nemtos a écrit :
        > > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
        > > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
        > > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
        > > Thank you
      • ken
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
          Nemtos wrote:
          > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
          > Good luck to Ken.

          Nemtos,

          Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

          (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

          And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

          Thanks much,
          ken

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
            > Nemtos,
            >
            > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
            >
            > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
            >
            > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

            Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
            I just used: modprobe i8k
            lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
            whatever this means.

            I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
            simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
            still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

            Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
            command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
            months ago in message #27545.

            Thanks again
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
              Nemtos a écrit :
              >>Nemtos,
              >>
              >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
              >>
              >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
              >>
              >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
              >

              > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
              > I just used: modprobe i8k
              > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
              > whatever this means.

              This line is not interesting. With
              cat /proc/i8k
              you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
              power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

              Alex.

              > I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
              > simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
              > still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.
              >
              > Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
              > command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
              > months ago in message #27545.
              >
              > Thanks again

              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417