Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 630m .. failing to load WindowsX system in SuSE 10.0

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2006
      Other than installing things, what have you done to set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you getting any error messages? -- Douglas

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2006
        i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
        setups for the X system.

        Do i need to configure the X-system .

        when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
        mode and not to X mode.

        please guide me..

        thanks,
        Ramesh

        --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
        wrote:

        > Other than installing things, what have you done to
        > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
        > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chad Sutton
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16, 2006
          Yes you will need to install X-Windows. You should choose a window
          manager (KDE or Gnome).

          1.) After you login (either login as root or su to root), run the
          command "yast" (without the quotes).
          2.) Select "Software Management"
          3.) Change your filter to "Selections" (you can use alt-f to select
          filters)
          4.) Select "Graphical Base System"
          5.) Select "KDE Desktop Environment" and/or "Gnome System" (you can
          install both if you want).

          If these items are already selected then you already have the X system
          and something else is wrong. If that is the case post back here and I'm
          sure we can help you in configuring X properly.

          On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh babu wrote:
          > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
          > setups for the X system.
          >
          > Do i need to configure the X-system .
          >
          > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
          > mode and not to X mode.
          >
          > please guide me..
          >
          > thanks,
          > Ramesh
          >

          > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Other than installing things, what have you done to
          > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
          > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

          Later,
          Chad Sutton
          http://chadarius.com
          csutton@...
          chadraius@...
        • Chad Sutton
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 16, 2006
            Forgot to ask you for some config files and information about your
            hardware.

            What video card do you have on that model Dell?

            If after you have checked that X and KDE or Gnome is installed and you
            still have problems it would be very useful for you to post the contents
            of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Also, if there was a problem starting X then
            there should be some error messages in your /var/log/messages file. It
            would be helpful to see those error messages as well.

            On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh babu wrote:
            > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done any
            > setups for the X system.
            >
            > Do i need to configure the X-system .
            >
            > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to text
            > mode and not to X mode.
            >
            > please guide me..
            >
            > thanks,
            > Ramesh
            >

            > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Other than installing things, what have you done to
            > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
            > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

            Later,
            Chad Sutton
            http://chadarius.com
            csutton@...
            chadraius@...
          • Pawel Drapala
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
              Hi,

              So I got wpa working on my Dell 700m with Ubuntu Breezy. Everything is fine, my notebook picks up wifi at home, or coffee shop without any effort on my part. That's the good part.

              However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2 IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.

              What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the proffered gateway?

              Thanks.

              Yahoo! Mail
            • gudavalli ramesh babu
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                Thanks Much for your help. I will try the steps listed
                by you and let you know the result.

                Rgds,
                Ramesh

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • gudavalli ramesh babu
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
                  Chand,

                  I started yast and the Graphical Based Sytem , KDE
                  Desktop Env installed ( i before them).

                  What entries should i look in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                  I found entries for mouse. I cannot see any entry
                  related to the videocard.

                  From windows i see the below entry under display
                  adapters

                  Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chip set..

                  In the /etc/log/messages i found the below lines

                  IO error in Xopen Diaplay
                  X server For Display :0 terminated unxpectdly
                  Display :0 cannot be opened.

                  rgds,
                  Ramesh

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • gudavalli ramesh babu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                    i could see the below section in the
                    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install . I guess that this section
                    is linked to the error displayed in the messges file.

                    #Screen Section for module X support
                    #-----------------------------------
                    Section "Screen"
                    Subsection "Display"
                    Depth 16
                    Modes "800x600"
                    EndSubSection
                    Subsection "Display"
                    Depth 24
                    Modes "800x600"
                    EndSubSection
                    Subsection "Display"
                    Depth 32
                    Modes "800x600"
                    EndSubSection
                    Subsection "Display"
                    Depth 8
                    Modes "800x600"
                    EndSubSection
                    Device "Device[0]"
                    identifier "Screeen[0]"
                    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
                    EndSection

                    correct me if my guesswork is wrong.

                    Rgds,
                    Ramesh

                    --- Chad Sutton <csutton@...> wrote:

                    > Forgot to ask you for some config files and
                    > information about your
                    > hardware.
                    >
                    > What video card do you have on that model Dell?
                    >
                    > If after you have checked that X and KDE or Gnome is
                    > installed and you
                    > still have problems it would be very useful for you
                    > to post the contents
                    > of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Also, if there was a problem
                    > starting X then
                    > there should be some error messages in your
                    > /var/log/messages file. It
                    > would be helpful to see those error messages as
                    > well.
                    >

                    > On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 18:58 -0800, gudavalli ramesh
                    > babu wrote:
                    > > i just installed the Suse 10.0 linux and not done
                    > any
                    > > setups for the X system.
                    > >
                    > > Do i need to configure the X-system .
                    > >
                    > > when i select the suse up on booting , i go to
                    > text
                    > > mode and not to X mode.
                    > >
                    > > please guide me..
                    > >
                    > > thanks,
                    > > Ramesh
                    > >

                    > > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Other than installing things, what have you done
                    > > > set up X? How are you trying to start X? Are you
                    > > > getting any error messages? -- Douglas

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Andrew Thompson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                      My solution to a similar situation was to add a few lines to rc.local,
                      so that it searches for the ESSIDs of the wifi APs I use (home, office,
                      customers). If it finds a known one, it makes the connection, otherwise
                      it starts the cable interface.

                      It's not the most elegant solution, but it works for me.

                      I'd be happy to send a copy, if you think it might help.

                      Andrew
                      AAT Computer Services

                      Pawel Drapala wrote:
                      > However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and
                      > occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2
                      > IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.
                      >
                      > What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa
                      > shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of
                      > anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the
                      > proffered gateway?
                    • Pawel Drapala
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 18, 2006
                        It be nice to see what kind of script you used. Although it took some effort  to get wpa going and I'm not too enthusiastic about starting all over with a different approach :)

                        In my case, if I need to kill wifi I simply type:

                        rmmod ipw2200

                        and to get it back:

                        modprobe ipw2200
                        /etc/init.d/networking restart
                        /etc/init.d/ifplugd start
                        /etc/init.d/wpasupplicant start

                        I put some double click buttons on the desktop to do the above (for simplicity)

                        -Pawel

                        Pawel Drapala wrote:
                        > However, sometimes at office I'm connected to the via Ethernet cable and
                        > occasionally my notebook laches on to someone's wifi router. So I got 2
                        > IP addresses one from my work the other from who knows where.
                        >
                        > What I'd like to do is make sure that if I'm connected via cable wpa
                        > shuts down. I can do this manually via script, but do you guys know of
                        > anyway to do make an automated process? How do I permanently set the
                        > proffered gateway?

                        Yahoo! Mail