Re: [linux-dell-laptops] fan state

  • ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
      Alexandre Tessier wrote:
      > Did you try
      > cat /proc/i8k

      That directory doesn't exist on this Inspiron 600m running 9.3 Pro.

      Running "powersave -F" says:

      No fan devices available.

      But
      # powersave -T
      Thermal Device no. 0:
      Temperature: 38
      Critical: 102

      So powersaved can access the temp sensor, but not the fan(s). I don't
      know that I've ever heard of fan sensors working for anyone here.

      --
      "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
      said the big noema to the little noema.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
        Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
        I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
          Alexandre Tessier wrote:
          > Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
          > I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

          # modprobe i8k
          FATAL: Error inserting i8k
          (/lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko): No
          such device
          # ll /etc/modules
          /bin/ls: /etc/modules: No such file or directory

          It must not be part of 9.3 Pro. It looks like I compiled some source
          code for it though, because I do have
          /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

          So what's the device that modprobe is telling me I don't have?

          Thanks for the tip.
          ken

          --
          "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
          said the big noema to the little noema.
        • Nemtos
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
            Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
            Good luck to Ken.

            > Did you try
            > cat /proc/i8k
            >
            > Nemtos a écrit :
            > > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
            > > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
            > > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
            > > Thank you
          • ken
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
              Nemtos wrote:
              > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
              > Good luck to Ken.

              Nemtos,

              Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

              (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

              And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

              Thanks much,
              ken

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                > Nemtos,
                >
                > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                >
                > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                >
                > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

                Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                I just used: modprobe i8k
                lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                whatever this means.

                I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
                simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
                still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

                Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
                command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
                months ago in message #27545.

                Thanks again
              • Alexandre Tessier
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                  Nemtos a écrit :
                  >>Nemtos,
                  >>
                  >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                  >>
                  >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                  >>
                  >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
                  >

                  > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                  > I just used: modprobe i8k
                  > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                  > whatever this means.

                  This line is not interesting. With
                  cat /proc/i8k
                  you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
                  power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

                  Alex.

                  > I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
                  > simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
                  > still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.
                  >
                  > Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
                  > command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
                  > months ago in message #27545.
                  >
                  > Thanks again

                  http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                  tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417