Re: [linux-dell-laptops] fan state

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
      Did you try
      cat /proc/i8k

      Nemtos a écrit :
      > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
      > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
      > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
      > Thank you

      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
    • ken
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
        Alexandre Tessier wrote:
        > Did you try
        > cat /proc/i8k

        That directory doesn't exist on this Inspiron 600m running 9.3 Pro.

        Running "powersave -F" says:

        No fan devices available.

        But
        # powersave -T
        Thermal Device no. 0:
        Temperature: 38
        Critical: 102

        So powersaved can access the temp sensor, but not the fan(s). I don't
        know that I've ever heard of fan sensors working for anyone here.

        --
        "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
        said the big noema to the little noema.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
          Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
          I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
            Alexandre Tessier wrote:
            > Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
            > I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

            # modprobe i8k
            FATAL: Error inserting i8k
            (/lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko): No
            such device
            # ll /etc/modules
            /bin/ls: /etc/modules: No such file or directory

            It must not be part of 9.3 Pro. It looks like I compiled some source
            code for it though, because I do have
            /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

            So what's the device that modprobe is telling me I don't have?

            Thanks for the tip.
            ken

            --
            "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
            said the big noema to the little noema.
          • Nemtos
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
              Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
              Good luck to Ken.

              > Did you try
              > cat /proc/i8k
              >
              > Nemtos a écrit :
              > > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
              > > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
              > > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
              > > Thank you
            • ken
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                Nemtos wrote:
                > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
                > Good luck to Ken.

                Nemtos,

                Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

                (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

                And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

                Thanks much,
                ken

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                  > Nemtos,
                  >
                  > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                  >
                  > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                  >
                  > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

                  Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                  I just used: modprobe i8k
                  lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                  whatever this means.

                  I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
                  simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
                  still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

                  Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
                  command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
                  months ago in message #27545.

                  Thanks again
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                    Nemtos a écrit :
                    >>Nemtos,
                    >>
                    >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                    >>
                    >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                    >>
                    >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
                    >

                    > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                    > I just used: modprobe i8k
                    > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                    > whatever this means.

                    This line is not interesting. With
                    cat /proc/i8k
                    you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
                    power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

                    Alex.