fan state

  • Nemtos
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
      I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
      Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
      other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
      Thank you
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
        Did you try
        cat /proc/i8k

        Nemtos a écrit :
        > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
        > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
        > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
        > Thank you

        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • ken
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
          Alexandre Tessier wrote:
          > Did you try
          > cat /proc/i8k

          That directory doesn't exist on this Inspiron 600m running 9.3 Pro.

          Running "powersave -F" says:

          No fan devices available.

          But
          # powersave -T
          Thermal Device no. 0:
          Temperature: 38
          Critical: 102

          So powersaved can access the temp sensor, but not the fan(s). I don't
          know that I've ever heard of fan sensors working for anyone here.

          --
          "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
          said the big noema to the little noema.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
            Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
            I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
              Alexandre Tessier wrote:
              > Do you load the i8k module ? (see /etc/modules)
              > I don't know if this module works with i600m. You should try it...

              # modprobe i8k
              FATAL: Error inserting i8k
              (/lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko): No
              such device
              # ll /etc/modules
              /bin/ls: /etc/modules: No such file or directory

              It must not be part of 9.3 Pro. It looks like I compiled some source
              code for it though, because I do have
              /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-21.11-default/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

              So what's the device that modprobe is telling me I don't have?

              Thanks for the tip.
              ken

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
                Good luck to Ken.

                > Did you try
                > cat /proc/i8k
                >
                > Nemtos a écrit :
                > > I would like to be able to know what the state of the fan is on my
                > > Inspiron 5100. The problem is: /proc/acpi/fan is empty, while the
                > > other acpi functions work ok. How can I do that (with Fedora 4)?
                > > Thank you
              • ken
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                  Nemtos wrote:
                  > Thanks, I had to insert the module, then it worked for me.
                  > Good luck to Ken.

                  Nemtos,

                  Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

                  (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?

                  And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

                  Thanks much,
                  ken

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                    > Nemtos,
                    >
                    > Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                    >
                    > (Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                    >
                    > And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?

                    Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                    I just used: modprobe i8k
                    lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                    whatever this means.

                    I don't know much (or anything) about modules, but in case this is a
                    simple upgrade issue, i8k.ko seems to be present in the three kernels
                    still on my machine, and the older one is 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

                    Incidentally, I also installed i8kutils, which provides me with a
                    command to stop the fan and thus solves the problem I referred to four
                    months ago in message #27545.

                    Thanks again
                  • Alexandre Tessier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                      Nemtos a écrit :
                      >>Nemtos,
                      >>
                      >>Glad to hear that it's working for you now.
                      >>
                      >>(Reality check:) What command did you use to insert the module?
                      >>
                      >>And what now shows up in lsmod in reference to the fan?
                      >

                      > Hi, glad that for once I'm the guy for whom it works. :)
                      > I just used: modprobe i8k
                      > lsmod gives me: i8k 6745 0
                      > whatever this means.

                      This line is not interesting. With
                      cat /proc/i8k
                      you will see BIOS version, CPU temperature, fan status, fan rpm, ac
                      power status... gnome or kde should have graphical applets to visualize it.

                      Alex.