Want To Use Full LCD Panl Resolution: SuSE 10, Intel915 Video 1400x1050 on Dell D610

  • Roger French
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2006
      I am running SuSE10 on a Dell D610 with the Intel915 video card and a 1400x1050 lcd panel. Since the Intel915 doesn't correctly report its modes to SuSE SAX2 and the KDE desktop, it only runs at 1280x1024. SAXS says the display is 1400x1050 lcd. but kde only allows 1280x1024.

      Therefore I use the 855resolution program (which comes in SuSE10 and works for the 915 graphics card), to reset one of the video modes to be 1400x1050 using the command '855resolution 3c 1400 1050' in one of my init.d scripts. This works, so when running my card now reports a valid 1400x1050 video mode when queried.

      But in other (non-SuSE) linuxes people say I need to add a modeline to my X11/xorg.conf file to let KDE to know to run at full 1400x1050 resolution. In the SuSE xorg.conf file, there are no modelines, or it doesn't look like the ones quoted for other linuxes.

      My desktop is still running only at 1280x1024, and KDE doesn't only gives 1280 as the highest I can go.

      So for SuSE what is the next piece I need to do to get my full LCD panel to be used. Its a drag to have the black bars of unused screen all around.
      Regards,