Inspiron 9400 and wireless

  • Calvin N. Hobbes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 4:04 AM
      I've got a 9400 with Fedora Core 4 running:
      dual core CPU (both seen and working)
      Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 (up and running)
      17" 1920X1200 screen (can only get 1600X1200)
      and all the standard card readers and that smartcard thing.

      If you have the Intel 3945, go here:
      http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/
      I followed the instructions in the install listed there and I'm
      running WEP on an 802.11g wireless access point and it works great.

      I do NOT have the nvidia card, I've got what is shown as an Intel
      video card and it uses the VESA driver which can only give me
      1600X1200 at a 67Hz refresh rate. I would dearly love to have my full
      resolution, though.

      When I first installed, it could not go into graphical mode on reboot,
      but if you boot to run level 3 and startx, it will come up. Then run
      yum -y update and let it update everything, run level 5 comes up fine.

      The installation of the 802.11a/b/g drivers from the sourceforge page
      was painless and basically worked right out of the box after install.

      Oh, this is a nice laptop!