power on problem with inspiron 1000

  • G Raghuram
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi all,

      I was working with my dell-inspiron 1000 when it suddenly went off.
      Now I am not able to power it on. When I press the power button,
      nothing happens. The screen is blank, there are no signs of activity
      in the fan or in cd-drive.

      However, the battery light is always flickering.

      Can anybody tell me whats happening? Anyone had the same issues?/

      Thanks,
      Raghuram
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
        Dead motherboard?
        Get the laptop to a techie.
        Regards,
        Damien

        On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:21 +0530, G Raghuram wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I was working with my dell-inspiron 1000 when it suddenly went off.
        > Now I am not able to power it on. When I press the power button,
        > nothing happens. The screen is blank, there are no signs of activity
        > in the fan or in cd-drive.
        >
        > However, the battery light is always flickering.
        >
        > Can anybody tell me whats happening? Anyone had the same issues?/
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Raghuram

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
          Most likely scenario:
          If you trip over the power cord, the connector can break on the mother
          board. What then happens, is that the battery goes so flat, that the
          system won't run at all.

          The solution is quite traumatic - you need to disassemble humpty dumpty,
          solder the connector together, add some epoxy to strengthen it and put
          humpty dumpty back together again. This is not an exercise for the
          faint of heart and most computer shops are not technical enough to fix it.

          The easiest fix, is to give the machine to the courier company DHL.
          They'll forward it to their repair centre and deliver it back to you.

          Cheers,

          H.

          G Raghuram wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >I was working with my dell-inspiron 1000 when it suddenly went off.
          >Now I am not able to power it on. When I press the power button,
          >nothing happens. The screen is blank, there are no signs of activity
          >in the fan or in cd-drive.
          >
          >However, the battery light is always flickering.
          >
          >Can anybody tell me whats happening? Anyone had the same issues?/
          >

          >Thanks,
          >Raghuram

        • Douglas S. Oliver

            I had a similar problem a year ago with my i8600. Dell covered the
            repair and actually replaced my motherboard, keyboard, and just about
            everything but my hard drive. I was covered by the extended warranty. It
            happened a week before my coverage expired. I extended my coverage. --
            Douglas

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
              So its a much bigger problem than I had imagined! But i am wondering
              what would have caused the problem in the first place. As in, why did
              the mother board die all of a sudden?

              bye
              Raghuram

            • G Raghuram
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2006
                Hi,

                My laptop started working again, out of the blue........

                However, I should now press the power-on button for abt 5-6 sixs. I
                should press it in sideways manner rather than pressing it down. I
                think there is a problem with the connector.

                Thanks all
                Raghuram