Dell Inspiron B130/B120 & Ubuntu

  • brinkleybw@bigfoot.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2006
      Greetings,

      First, a little history and then my questions...

      I am looking to purchase a Dell Inspiron B130 to replace my current (and aged) desktop.  From what I've read, it is the same as a B120, except for the screen size.  The primary drivers for this choice are mobility and price.  I rarely get to sit at home long enough to use the desktop and when I do, I am surfing, typing, coding Perl or playing very small games like Solitaire ( i.e. I'm not a heavy gamer).

      I've searched the group's archive, hoping to find any posts on the B130/120, but found none.  I did find the following on the web and have bookmarked it for future use; perhaps someone else may need it as well: http://www.allthingsalceste.com/index.php?static=shower.php&location=italy2004.  I've run Knoppix on a Lattitude in the past with no significant problem, save perhaps the same issue with the wireless card described on the site above.

      Finally, I've been seriously considering Ubuntu as a result of the good press it has received lately.  Obviously, Knoppix gained a lot from Debian, and though I have been a KDE-guy in the past, I'd like to give Gnome another shot.

      So, what I'd like to know is....

      1) Does anyone have a testimonial or tragedy story regarding the B130 (or B120)?

      2) Does anyone have a testimonial or tragedy story regarding Ubuntu?

      Provided I go this route, I will be happy to post the results.

      Thanks!
      -Brandon