slackware 10.2 on inspiron 6000 - issue with ipw2200

  • Bilal Khan Toru
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hi everybody. could anyone guide me to a complete step-by-step setup
      guide for installing/configuring ipw2200 with inspiron 6000 using slackware?
      regards.
      Bilal.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
        Did you visit ipw2200.sourceforge.net
        the instructions are there.

        On 2/4/06, Bilal Khan Toru <bilal_toru@...> wrote:
        > Hi everybody. could anyone guide me to a complete step-by-step setup
        > guide for installing/configuring ipw2200 with inspiron 6000 using slackware?
        > regards.
        > Bilal.

        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
          If you plan to upgrade the kernel (which I'd recommend) ipw2200 is included
          after 2.6.10, iirc. You simply compile the module, as well as the ieee80211
          support modules, and then (the tricky part) download the firmware from
          ipw2200.sf.net and place it in the '/lib/firmware' directory. It wasn't clear
          which version of the firmware is required for the driver included in the
          kernel, so I installed the lastest three and it picks the one it needs ;-)

          _haedn

          --- Bilal Khan Toru <bilal_toru@...> wrote:

          > Hi everybody. could anyone guide me to a complete step-by-step setup
          > guide for installing/configuring ipw2200 with inspiron 6000 using slackware?
          > regards.
          > Bilal.

        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
            Dear Bilal,

            Which kernel are you using? I'm running Slack 10.2 with the 2.6.15.1 kernel. That kernel says it has native support for the ipw2200, but to be honest with you, I failed dismally to set up my ipw2100. I finally got it working with ndiswrapper. The instructions that come with ndiswrapper are pretty clear.

            I think we need more information about your current set up, especially which kernel you're using and what you have installed as part of the kernel and what as modules (relative to wireless of course).

            --Douglas

            >Hi everybody. could anyone guide me to a complete step-by-step setup
            >guide for installing/configuring ipw2200 with inspiron 6000 using slackware?
            >regards.
            >Bilal.

          • uteck
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
              Even 2.6.15 still needs the firmware to be manually installed since it
              is closed source and not freely distributable.

              On 2/4/06, Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@...> wrote:
              > Dear Bilal,
              >
              > Which kernel are you using? I'm running Slack 10.2 with the 2.6.15.1 kernel.
              > That kernel says it has native support for the ipw2200, but to be honest
              > with you, I failed dismally to set up my ipw2100. I finally got it working
              > with ndiswrapper. The instructions that come with ndiswrapper are pretty
              > clear.
              >
              > I think we need more information about your current set up, especially which
              > kernel you're using and what you have installed as part of the kernel and
              > what as modules (relative to wireless of course).
              >
              > --Douglas

            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
                the kernel has native support - but you still have to download the
                firmware separately. it's non-redistributable, so you can only get it
                from Intel (e.g.: it's not bundled with the kernel or distributions).

                cheers,
                steve

                On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:50:50PM -0800, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                > Dear Bilal,
                >
                > Which kernel are you using? I'm running Slack 10.2 with the 2.6.15.1 kernel. That kernel says it has native support for the ipw2200, but to be honest with you, I failed dismally to set up my ipw2100. I finally got it working with ndiswrapper. The instructions that come with ndiswrapper are pretty clear.
                >
                > I think we need more information about your current set up, especially which kernel you're using and what you have installed as part of the kernel and what as modules (relative to wireless of course).
                >
                > --Douglas

              • Bilal Khan Toru
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2006
                  I am using kernel 2.6.15 on slackware 10.2. I have to use the upgraded kernel anyway as the 2.4.X doesn't have support for the sata controller card in this laptop. right now slackware picks the hdd as a scsi device sda :D Oh and I have the modules required for ipw2200 compiled into the kernel.

                  the following modules are enabled in the kernel.

                  CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y

                  CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=y

                  ieee80211 is also there as a module.

                  The only thing that I have yet to do that has been mentioned here is downloading the firmware from ipw2200.sf.net and placing it in the '/lib/firmware' directory.

                  I would be greatful if Douglas S. Oliver (since he's using slackware 10.2) could explain how he set his ipw2200 up using ndiswrapper. or provide me the link so i can apply it. also could you (if you have an inspiron 6000) send me a copy of ur kernel's config?

                  I just need a setup guide from scratch because i think after searching online for so much and doing so many different things that ppl suggested i need one complete setup guide now.

                  What I fail to understand is that why doesn't the ipw2200 module along with other modules already found in the kernel work out of the box?

                  anyway would appreciate any help.
                  thanks,
                  regards,
                  Bilal.
                • Haedn Thorn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006
                    --- Bilal Khan Toru <bilal_toru@...> wrote:

                    > I am using kernel 2.6.15 on slackware 10.2. I have to use the upgraded kernel
                    > anyway as the 2.4.X doesn't have support for the sata controller card in this
                    > laptop. right now slackware picks the hdd as a scsi device sda :D Oh and I
                    > have the modules required for ipw2200 compiled into the kernel.
                    >
                    > the following modules are enabled in the kernel.
                    >
                    > CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y
                    >
                    > CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=y
                    >
                    > ieee80211 is also there as a module.
                    >
                    > The only thing that I have yet to do that has been mentioned here is
                    > downloading the firmware from ipw2200.sf.net and placing it in the
                    > '/lib/firmware' directory.
                    >
                    > I would be greatful if Douglas S. Oliver (since he's using slackware 10.2)
                    > could explain how he set his ipw2200 up using ndiswrapper. or provide me the
                    > link so i can apply it. also could you (if you have an inspiron 6000) send me
                    > a copy of ur kernel's config?
                    >

                    > I just need a setup guide from scratch because i think after searching online
                    > for so much and doing so many different things that ppl suggested i need one
                    > complete setup guide now.
                    >

                    > What I fail to understand is that why doesn't the ipw2200 module along with
                    > other modules already found in the kernel work out of the box?

                    It sounds like you should be good to go if you just download the firmaware as
                    above. ndiswrapper can be found on SourceForge as well, but with the native
                    drivers, it is completely unnecessary.

                    _haedn
                  • Jim Diamond
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 9, 2006
                      On Mon, Feb 6, 2006 at 09:56 (+0500), Bilal Khan Toru wrote:

                      > I am using kernel 2.6.15 on slackware 10.2.
                      I have Slackware 10.2 with 2.6.14.3 and I am using the ipw2200 module.

                      > I have to use the upgraded kernel anyway as the 2.4.X doesn't have
                      > support for the sata controller card in this laptop. right now
                      > slackware picks the hdd as a scsi device sda :D Oh and I have the
                      > modules required for ipw2200 compiled into the kernel.

                      > the following modules are enabled in the kernel.

                      > CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y

                      > CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=y

                      > ieee80211 is also there as a module.

                      > The only thing that I have yet to do that has been mentioned here is
                      > downloading the firmware from ipw2200.sf.net and placing it in the
                      > '/lib/firmware' directory.
                      Well, it sure isn't going to work until you do that.

                      > I would be greatful if Douglas S. Oliver (since he's using slackware
                      > 10.2) could explain how he set his ipw2200 up using ndiswrapper. or
                      > provide me the link so i can apply it. also could you (if you have
                      > an inspiron 6000) send me a copy of ur kernel's config?
                      As Haedn pointed out, there is no need for ndiswrapper. (Well, maybe
                      ndiswrapper implements something that the ipw2200 module doesn't, but
                      I haven't heard about this.)

                      > What I fail to understand is that why doesn't the ipw2200 module
                      > along with other modules already found in the kernel work out of the
                      > box?
                      Do you have the following set in your 2.4.15 .config?

                      CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
                      CONFIG_IPW_DEBUG=y
                      CONFIG_IPW2200=m
                      CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y

                      You probably don't need CONFIG_IPW_DEBUG=y, but it works for me with
                      it set.

                      Why don't you install the files into /lib/firmware and then modprobe
                      ipw2200 and then tell us how it went for you? If it isn't working,
                      any of a number of people here should be able to get you going.

                      Jim

                      --
                      Jim Diamond (zsd@...)
                    • Douglas S. Oliver
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 9, 2006
                        Dear Haedn, I think he needs to understand that whichever way he goes, the complete step-by-step instructions are included. I personally have an ipw2100 and got frustrated trying to set it up; that's why I went to ndiswrapper. I think that in the end my problem was with the hardware driver. You said that you downloaded three to be sure you got the right one; I only tried one. My impatience! Also you explained before that not all components are included because of software restrictions. The needed firmware is not open source, I believe.

                        In the end, whichever way he goes, if he follows the instructions that are included with the package chosen, it should work. I would just recommend that Bilal not try to take shortcuts. If the instructions say to delete something, delete it. The various warnings are important. The ipw2200 says you might need to download the firmware. It should say you do need to. I believe the firmware that comes with the kernel is not compatible. He does need to delete the old stuff to make room for the new.

                        I wish him the best of luck -- Douglas

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 9, 2006
                          --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Haedn, I think he needs to understand that whichever way he goes, the
                          > complete step-by-step instructions are included. I personally have an ipw2100
                          > and got frustrated trying to set it up; that's why I went to ndiswrapper. I
                          > think that in the end my problem was with the hardware driver. You said that
                          > you downloaded three to be sure you got the right one; I only tried one. My
                          > impatience! Also you explained before that not all components are included
                          > because of software restrictions. The needed firmware is not open source, I
                          > believe.
                          >
                          > In the end, whichever way he goes, if he follows the instructions that are
                          > included with the package chosen, it should work. I would just recommend that
                          > Bilal not try to take shortcuts. If the instructions say to delete something,
                          > delete it. The various warnings are important. The ipw2200 says you might
                          > need to download the firmware. It should say you do need to. I believe the
                          > firmware that comes with the kernel is not compatible. He does need to delete
                          > the old stuff to make room for the new.
                          >
                          > I wish him the best of luck -- Douglas

                          The firmware is not included with the kernel at all. The firmware is very
                          small, less than 1MB, iirc, so unless you are running an embedded system, or
                          for some other bizarre reason have severely limited storage capactiy, there
                          really is no worry to having a few extra files laying around. I could have
                          polled the kernel module to find what version it is and download the specific
                          version of the firmware needed, but I also tend to mess with things a lot more
                          than I need to and will likely recompile different versions of the module at
                          random intervals. So getting the three most recent firmwares now (an extra 15
                          seconds, maybe) saves me having to do it later. The instructions for ipw2200
                          are listed at http://ipw2200.sf.net and the instructions for ndiswrapper
                          (should you give up on the native drivers) are at http://ndiswrapper.sf.net .

                          _haedn
                        • Bilal Khan Toru
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 10, 2006
                            Dear Mr. Jim,
                            Thanks. I will actually try instructions given on
                            http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ and let you know how it goes.
                            regards,
                            Bilal.
                          • Bilal Khan Toru
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                              hi there.
                              it's me agian. i finally got a chance to work on the ipw2200 again on my
                              inspiron 6000.
                              This time i tried to follow the instructions on
                              http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL.

                              I got stuck following the following part :

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              #define CONFIG_FW_LOADER 1
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ipw2200 loads firmware via the Linux firmware hotplug capability (see later
                              section on firmware loading). In 2.6.x, this is enabled via menuconfig:

                              Device Drivers ->
                              Generic Driver Options ->
                              Hotplug firmware loading support

                              I am using 2.6.15.5 and the default config file for 2.6 that came with
                              slackware.
                              The option "Hotplug firmware loading support" was disabled with " - - "
                              sign infront of it. I could not enable it.

                              If anyone has an inspiron 6000 and has customized their kernel for it,
                              kindly send me a copy of the kernel.

                              Thanks in advance....
                              regards,
                              Bilal.
                            • parenthetically_yours
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                                Bilal

                                > got a chance to work on the ipw2200 again on my
                                > inspiron 6000.
                                > This time i tried to follow the instructions on
                                > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL.

                                I don't know if it helps a slacker but there's a Fedora kernel here:

                                http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/devel/

                                2.6.15-1.2014_FC5, it's a great kernel for Inspiron 6000, it supports
                                IPW (just add the firmware to /lib/firmware) and it also supports
                                suspend to ram, and suspend to disk.

                                If you can't use the binary then I hope you find the accompanying
                                source RPM informative

                                /PY