Re: [linux-dell-laptops] LInux on Laptop

  • ken
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:57:39 -0000 "Roy Beals" <slowandgo@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am asking anyone who has a Dell Inspiron 5150 running
      > Linux/Windows, do you have problems with your a/c power adapter? My
      > computer just died because of the a/c power adapter and the
      > motherboard. I have found out that Dell is aware of the problem but
      > won't fix it without charge unless you have the extended warranty. I
      > do not have it, my computer is 2 years old and now it is dead. Dell
      > wants to charge for a replacement motherboard, the same one that has
      > the problem, with only a ninety day warranty on the motherboard, but
      > not the computer. I feel I have been robbed by Dell for selling a
      > computer that they know has a faulty design. I am looking for
      > recommendations for either replace the motherboard with no guarantee
      > that it will last, or buy another Dell or different brand altogether.
      > Please let me hear your thoughts on this, I want to run both Linux
      > and Windows XP.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Slowandgo

      I had the same problem with my 600m. It happened just a couple months
      after I bought it. And I did get the extended warranty, but I think
      that because it happened so soon, I might have been covered by the
      default warranty (90 days?). And, yes, they did replace the motherboard
      (and then reflashed the BIOS-- so I had to rejigger X after that).

      When I first called tech support with the problem, but after quite a bit
      of over-the-phone diagnostics, I was told that it was a known problem.
      Ya know, if the Mac notebook would have had a serial port, I would have
      bought that. Apple just makes solid stuff... and with them using
      FreeBSD for an OS and supporting open source (pretty much), man, it's
      really tempting.

      I have to agree with you about the sleaze factor. I wouldn't be
      surprised at all if Dell sells machines they're pretty sure are going to
      fail. I lucked out (mostly) this time, but I'll have to think again
      before I buy another Dell. I had a really bad experience with AMD a few
      years ago and I'll never buy anything from them again, not in this
      lifetime or any other.

      As far as an alternate machine, one Linux-guy friend of mine recommended
      Fujitsu laptops. Another friend, not a Linux guy, has been getting
      Toshiba laptops for the past ten or twenty years and is happy with them.
      Yeah, those Japanese and their annoying regard for quality. I guess
      American companies still haven't learned from the bath that US car
      companies took just a couple decades ago.

      Thanks for your post.

      --
      "This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
      said the big noema to the little noema.