Help!!!! Loading FC4

  • Tux-Guy ;-)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 15, 2006
      Hello all,

      Well I just bought me a new laptop for Christmas...

      Spec's
      Dell XPS M140
      Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
      Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
      1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
      100GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
      Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900

      I wanted to load linux on it so I went with FEDORA 4. I partition the drive that i had with Partition Magic 8. I gave linux 50gigs and keep my XP at 48gigs.

      The laptop is set for a dual boot. The installation went okay, gave it a static ip address.

      Right when I went to boot into linux, i see the welcome to Fedor Core,

      Starting udev: [ok]
      Initializing hardware.... storage network....

      that's were it's hanging at the storage network... can someone tell me why this is happening ?

      It's my first time installing Fedora i use to install RedHat thats why I  stuck with Fedora...

      Any feedback would be great....

      Malachai.

    • uteck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2006
        Pressing control and c should kill that function and get it to the
        next step. I think It is caused by the way Partition Magic set up the
        partition table. I believe that FC4 can resize windows partitions in
        the installer so you did not need to use PM8 to do it.

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 16, 2006
          Welcome to the sinking boat that a bunch of us newer dell laptop users
          seem to be on.

          I'm aware that dell has the hidden partition on the drive for the
          recovery information so I went to the local computer guy and picked up
          a 12 gig drive for $30.00 (much cheaper then wasting time dealing with
          dell if I screw up the original drive) So I went through the complete
          install on my Inspiron 1300 with a blank drive using Fedora 4, and the
          auto configure of the drive which has no traces of dell or PM and I
          got to the same point. storage network nothing. I tried a minimal
          install, complete, went into the bios and disabled the network card(s)
          [BTW I replaced the dell wireless nic with Intel 2915 ABG because I
          know the standard dell is difficult to get to work with linux.]After 4
          installs and reboots to nothing I tried knoppix and that is what I'm
          using now with no problem to write this message off the CD. I will
          probably try the hd install later this week.

          So, to answer your question try SUSE or Knoppix and wait for FC5
          (which is out in beta right now)

          Brad

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@g...> wrote:

          > Pressing control and c should kill that function and get it to the
          > next step. I think It is caused by the way Partition Magic set up the
          > partition table. I believe that FC4 can resize windows partitions in
          > the installer so you did not need to use PM8 to do it.
          >

          > On 1/15/06, Tux-Guy ;-) <tux1277@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Well I just bought me a new laptop for Christmas...
          > >
          > > Spec's
          > > Dell XPS M140
          > > Intel(r) Pentium(r) M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
          > > Genuine Windows(r) XP Media Center Edition 2005
          > > 1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
          > > 100GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
          > > Integrated Intel(r) Graphics Media Accelerator 900
          > >
          > > I wanted to load linux on it so I went with FEDORA 4. I partition
          the drive
          > > that i had with Partition Magic 8. I gave linux 50gigs and keep my
          XP at
          > > 48gigs.
          > >
          > > The laptop is set for a dual boot. The installation went okay,
          gave it a
          > > static ip address.
          > >
          > > Right when I went to boot into linux, i see the welcome to Fedor Core,
          > >
          > > Starting udev: [ok]
          > > Initializing hardware.... storage network....
          > >
          > > that's were it's hanging at the storage network... can someone
          tell me why
          > > this is happening ?
          > >
          > > It's my first time installing Fedora i use to install RedHat thats
          why I
          > > stuck with Fedora...
          > >
          > > Any feedback would be great....
          > >

          > > Malachai.
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > Yahoo! Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
          > > Photo Books. You design it and we'll bind it!
          > >

          > --
          > no .sig found
          > Please restart your browser.

        • Mark Merriken

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006
              Hello,

              I have the same problem with an Inspiron 1300.
              "Initializing hardware.... storage network.... Audio".
              I call Dell. It is a new chipset audio and Fedora don't recognize it. I have 3 laptops Dell, I use Partition Magic and there is no problem.
              The unique difference is the audio chipset.
              But, for instance, I don't know how can I resolve this problem.
              I hope with FC5 ......

              Angel

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006
                You should be able to boot with the kernel with an option to not try
                to initialze the audio.
                I think at the boot screen you type "linux noalsa" or alsa=off. You
                can update the kernel after the install to a version that might
                support your sound.

                --
                no .sig found
                Please restart your browser.
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006
                  The easiest way to get around this is to try different distributions,
                  till you find one that works.

                  If you prefer RedHat, then you should give Mandriva a whirl, before
                  trying Ubuntu or Knoppix, which are both Debian based. Mandriva is an
                  ancient RedHat clone and tends to be more cutting edge, therefore it may
                  very well support your hardware out of the box.

                  uteck wrote:

                  >You should be able to boot with the kernel with an option to not try
                  >to initialze the audio.
                  >I think at the boot screen you type "linux noalsa" or alsa=off. You
                  >can update the kernel after the install to a version that might
                  >support your sound.
                  >
                  >On 1/17/06, Angel Garcia <ange@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Hello,
                  >>
                  >> I have the same problem with an Inspiron 1300.
                  >> "Initializing hardware.... storage network.... Audio".
                  >> I call Dell. It is a new chipset audio and Fedora don't recognize it. I
                  >>have 3 laptops Dell, I use Partition Magic and there is no problem.
                  >> The unique difference is the audio chipset.
                  >> But, for instance, I don't know how can I resolve this problem.
                  >> I hope with FC5 ......
                  >>

                  >> Angel
                  >>

                  >> Tux-Guy ;-) wrote:
                  >>
                  >>Hello all,
                  >>
                  >> Well I just bought me a new laptop for Christmas...
                  >>
                  >> Spec's
                  >> Dell XPS M140
                  >> Intel(r) Pentium(r) M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
                  >> Genuine Windows(r) XP Media Center Edition

                  >>2005
                  >> 1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
                  >> 100GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
                  >> Integrated Intel(r) Graphics Media Accelerator 900
                  >>
                  >> I wanted to load linux on it so I went with FEDORA 4. I partition the drive
                  >>that i had with Partition Magic 8. I gave linux 50gigs and keep my XP at
                  >>48gigs.
                  >>
                  >> The laptop is set for a dual boot. The installation went okay, gave it a
                  >>static ip address.
                  >>
                  >> Right when I went to boot into linux, i see the welcome to Fedor Core,
                  >>
                  >> Starting udev: [ok]
                  >> Initializing hardware.... storage network....
                  >>
                  >> that's were it's hanging at the storage network... can someone tell me why
                  >>this is happening ?
                  >>
                  >> It's my first time installing Fedora i use to install RedHat thats why I
                  >>stuck with Fedora...
                  >>
                  >> Any feedback would be great....
                  >>

                  >> Malachai.

                • Tux-Guy ;-)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2006
                    Hey Angel ....

                    I figured out how to pass that problem... If you are dual booting or not ... Right when you're about to boot into Fedora hight your kernal

                    Kernal /vmlinux ... now go all the way to the end of the kernal line were it says "quiet"

                    Right after that do this

                    /rhgb quiet  acpi=off amp=off

                    all you do is add acpi, and amp off ... then you will see it will boot into it...

                    trust me it took me a while to find the problem...

                    Also too i just notice that I need updates on my laptop... I also found a sound configure rpm ... I'm going to try it and see if it finds my sound card...

                    Good luck let me know if you need anything else.

                    MM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2006
                      I boot the laptop with "noalsa", "alsa=off" with non result.
                      Probabbly is possible to access at the file configuration for the boot ???

                      The control and c should not kill that function.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/