Re: Help setting up laptop mail?

  • parenthetically_yours
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
      James

      > Anyway, if anyone has already solved this problem, or even knows where
      > I could usefully start looking, I'd be grateful,

      I can't help you with what you want to do. I wouldn't set up email
      like that. I would use a client like Thunderbird to connect to each of
      the systems and read mail. You could also have your multiple email
      sending identities configured.

      For sending and receiving mail when there is a firewall you may be
      able to use ssh (-L) to forward ports and access a mail server that
      isn't available to the open internet.

      Using IMAP mail access is speedy and efficient, you don't have to
      download everything before you read it, etc. It's ideal for mobile use.

      If you really want to try and pull all the mail onto your laptop you
      could set up something with fetchmail but it will always be more
      clunky and fragile than using a good client and IMAP.

      /PY
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
        Why can't you just use multiple IMAP accounts on Thunderbird? I do this
        to connect to my 5 different email servers from my laptop and it works
        just fine.

        That being said, you can just use fetchmail to download your email from
        various systems, but this provides no benefit vs. just having
        Thunderbird do it....

        And Thunderbird has multiple identity support, so it will key the From
        address based on the To address (which is why this email looks like its
        coming from ldl@..., which has no relation to my login id: stevel)

        cheers,
        steve

        James Frye wrote:

        >This is probably a bit off-topic, but I haven't managed to find
        >anything relevant anywhere else, and I'm about at my wit's end.
        >
        >The question is deceptively simple: how do I find out how to set up
        >mail to work on my laptop? I have three different email addresses, for
        >work, academic, and personal mail. They're currently managed on
        >different systems, and I connect to the systems to read & reply to the
        >mail. For a number of reasons, that's getting to be more and more
        >inconvenient.
        >
        >What I would like to do is have the Linux mailer daemon fetch the mail
        >from these systems into my mailbox on the laptop, so that I can read it
        >all at once (and be notified of new mail, etc.), and then reply or send
        >new mail, with the mail looking as if it came from my work, personal, or
        >academic address, as appropriate. (I should note that none of the
        >addresses have any relation to my login id on my system, which is simply
        >"me".)
        >
        >Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information on this. I've
        >tried various web searches on keywords I thought relevant, only to get
        >back millions of irrelevant links. The basic documentation for things
        >like procmail seem to assume that 1) I'm setting up a multi-user
        >system; and 2) I already know what I'm doing, and just need a reference.
        >
        >Anyway, if anyone has already solved this problem, or even knows where
        >I could usefully start looking, I'd be grateful,
        >
        >Thanks,
        >James

      • James Frye
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
          On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Stephen Lau wrote:

          > Why can't you just use multiple IMAP accounts on Thunderbird?

          For starters, because I don't know what Thunderbird is :-) I do know,
          vaguely, what IMAP is (a mail transfer protocol, right?), but not how to
          set it up or use it. As I said, it seems like everything I can find
          assumes a whole lot of prior knowledge that I don't have. It's something
          I've never needed to know before - I've always just logged into a system,
          ran pine in an xterm, and that sufficed.

          On the more general question of why, it's just accumulating hassles. For
          instance, the ISP that handles my personal mail (comes with the cable
          internet connection) only has a web-based mail reader which has recently
          been "upgraded" to where I can barely use it. On the business side,
          people send me stuff that I get paid for working with. Friday I lost most
          of a day because that provider changed routers, and I couldn't access old
          mail to check some important data. If I need to work with attached files,
          I have to save them to the system disk, then scp them to my machine...

          Thanks,
          James
        • herman@aeronetworks.ca
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
            Fetchmail, procmail and postfix.

            See this: http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/procmail-howto.html

            then you can add ClamAV and SpamAssassin to the mix as well, stir simmer and run a great private mail system.

            > James Frye wrote:
            >
            > >This is probably a bit off-topic, but I haven't managed to find
            > >anything relevant anywhere else, and I'm about at my wit's end.
            > >
            > >The question is deceptively simple: how do I find out how to set up
            > >mail to work on my laptop? I have three different email addresses, for
            > >work, academic, and personal mail. They're currently managed on
            > >different systems, and I connect to the systems to read & reply to the
            > >mail. For a number of reasons, that's getting to be more and more
            > >inconvenient.
            > >
            > >What I would like to do is have the Linux mailer daemon fetch the mail
            > >from these systems into my mailbox on the laptop, so that I can read it
            > >all at once (and be notified of new mail, etc.), and then reply or send
            > >new mail, with the mail looking as if it came from my work, personal,
            > or
            > >academic address, as appropriate. (I should note that none of the
            > >addresses have any relation to my login id on my system, which is simply
            > >"me".)
            > >
            > >Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information on this. I've
            > >tried various web searches on keywords I thought relevant, only to get
            > >back millions of irrelevant links. The basic documentation for things
            > >like procmail seem to assume that 1) I'm setting up a multi-user
            > >system; and 2) I already know what I'm doing, and just need a reference.
            > >
            > >Anyway, if anyone has already solved this problem, or even knows where
            > >I could usefully start looking, I'd be grateful,
            > >
            > >Thanks,
            > >James
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
              James Frye wrote:

              >On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Stephen Lau wrote:
              >

              >>Why can't you just use multiple IMAP accounts on Thunderbird?
              >>

              >For starters, because I don't know what Thunderbird is :-) I do know,
              >vaguely, what IMAP is (a mail transfer protocol, right?), but not how to
              >set it up or use it. As I said, it seems like everything I can find
              >assumes a whole lot of prior knowledge that I don't have. It's something
              >I've never needed to know before - I've always just logged into a system,
              >ran pine in an xterm, and that sufficed.
              >
              >On the more general question of why, it's just accumulating hassles. For
              >instance, the ISP that handles my personal mail (comes with the cable
              >internet connection) only has a web-based mail reader which has recently
              >been "upgraded" to where I can barely use it. On the business side,
              >people send me stuff that I get paid for working with. Friday I lost most
              >of a day because that provider changed routers, and I couldn't access old
              >mail to check some important data. If I need to work with attached files,
              >I have to save them to the system disk, then scp them to my machine...

              Ahh.. my bad. Sorry, my fault... I was assuming a GUI email app, and
              that everyone and their mother used Thunderbird. :-D (which is the
              Mozilla email/messaging app).
              If you want to use a term app, then my best guess is you would have to
              use Fetchmail to accumulate them all into one mail spool. Mutt can do
              the same keying/multiple-sender-identity support that Thunderbird has.
              I'm not sure if Pine has support for this.
              But given that your ISP only has a web-based mailer, I think you're
              pretty much screwed. If it's not standards based, then you may have a
              hard time finding support for it (unless it's one of the larger webmail
              sites like YahooMail/Hotmail/etc.)

              cheers,
              steve