audio help needed

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006

        in 2.6 kernels, the ALSA drivers are included in the kernel.
        Additionally ensure alsa-lib is installed and alsa gets added to your
        boot process.

        > 4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
        [...]
        > I'm on an i8600

        Painless. To configure it manually, edit /etc/modules.conf or install
        alsa-utils and execute alsaconf which edits /etc/modules.conf for you.

        Best regards

        ce
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
          When you configure your kernel, you'll find an area called "sound" beneath that
          is "ALSA" and within that you'll need to enable the module for 'intel810'.
          After you've compiled and installed your kernel and modules, and are running on
          them, run 'alsaconfig' to set it up. You can get more explicit details at
          http://www.alsa-project.org

        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
            Thank you so much for your help, though I feel like a dope. When I got up this morning and returned to my (non)problem, I reached one of those duh moments. I hadn't known how to turn on alsa! That "m" key caught me by surprise. I now have gxine and xmms working fine. I have run into another problem though: when I try to open the volume control from within the xfce window manager, I get this error:

            "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found."

            While I read that, I'm listening to music from my favorite jazz radio station via gxine, so I'm not sure if this is an xfce problem. I'm going to try switching to gnome and see if the volume control works there.

            Thanks again, Douglas

              Thank you for the reply. This information is going to help me when I next upgrade and make a custom kernel.
              I want to start excluding drivers and devices I don't actually have. Now I know to keep in the intel810.

              Thanks again-- Douglas

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

                > "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found."
                >
                > While I read that, I'm listening to music from my favorite jazz radio station
                > via gxine, so I'm not sure if this is an xfce problem. I'm going to try
                > switching to gnome and see if the volume control works there.

                I believe the mixers are counting on OSS or something, because mine doesn't
                work in gnome either (at least I don't think so, I haven't reinstalled Linux
                again yet since I lost my HDD a little over a week ago. ... Not due to Linux,
                it was a hradware issue which has since been resolved) ... In any case, the
                sound works and most of the software knows how to handle the volume. If not,
                'alsamixer' at a prompt does the trick.
              • Christoph Eckert
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                  > I'm going to try switching to gnome and see if the volume control
                  > works there.

                  try
                  alamixer -c 0
                  in a shell window if it also complains about missin mixer elems.

                  Best regards

                  ce
                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  • Christoph Eckert
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                      > I do like the way alsa can
                      > be used from the terminal. I often prefer to not go all GUI.

                      alsamixer tries to create a generic mixer frontend for a card.
                      Disadvantage: it offers controls for all features your chip offers,
                      even if these aren't available as jacks on your computer.
                      Advantage: It's the reference mixer. If you miss a control in any other
                      mixer, in alsamixer you'll find it :) .

                      Best regards

                      ce
                    • IbericoVespucio
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 8, 2006
                        Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] audio help needed], del 06 de enero de 2006 a las 16:18:58 (-0800)

                        > [.....] I do like the way alsa can be used from the terminal. I
                        > often prefer to not go all GUI.-- Douglas

                        There is also aumix, a bit simpler than alsamixer. I prefeer it.

                        Ángel.

                        --
                        ibericovespucio
                        @...