Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 6000 advice please

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
      Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
      http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html

      John Logsdon wrote:

      >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
      >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
      >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
      >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
      >Windows.

      I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
      as an ISO image.

      >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
      >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
      >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
      >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
      >work at all.

      All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
      http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

      >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
      >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
      >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
      >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
      >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
      >graphic program.

      /boot/grub/

      Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.

      Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
      now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.

      Cheers,

      H.
    • hamed
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
        hi
        i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
        pasword and so i ask for this login and password
      • John Logsdon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
          I presume that the DVD wasn't bootable. There was no bootable flag to set
          on iDVD on the Mac but I did 'click' on the Windoze bootable flag.
          Anyway that problem is sorted now thanks to K3d.

          I probably need to compile the ipw2200 drivers against the MDK headers to
          get it to work.

          It seems that menu.lst is created only *after* drakconf is run so now I
          can include the two distros and Windows on the same machine.

          I am waiting to see whether CentOS4.2 will handle 128WEP wifi because I
          know that distro well and, despite RH's fascination with SELinux, it would
          be my distro of choice.

          Best wishes

          John

          John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
          Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
          j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
          +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

          On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Herman wrote:

          > Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
          > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html
          >
          > John Logsdon wrote:
          >
          > >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
          > >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
          > >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
          > >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
          > >Windows.
          > >

          > I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
          > as an ISO image.
          >
          > >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
          > >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
          > >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
          > >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
          > >work at all.
          > >

          > All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
          > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
          > >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
          > >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
          > >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
          > >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
          > >graphic program.
          > >

          > /boot/grub/
          >
          > Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.
          >
          > Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
          > now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > H.

        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
            --- hamed <hmdrf@...> wrote:

            > hi
            > i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
            > pasword and so i ask for this login and password

            You should be able to create a password during install. If you were not
            prompted for any usernames during the installation, the only default user is
            "root". If you weren't prompted for a password, then the default would be no
            password (just hit <enter>)